My Dog earned her keep today!

Redangler

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2012
Bradenton, FL
Today I was outside doing various chores all day so the girls were free ranging. They were in and out of their coop all day long as they pleased. Later this afternoon the girls were in the middle of the backyard when all of a sudden my dog, Peaches, comes from the side yard, runs past the girls to the edge of the woods and all H*** breaks loose. I hear all sorts of barking, growling, and hissing. Up the tree goes one raccoon while she is still arguing with the other. I called her off and up the tree goes the other coon. Needless to say the coons were relocated to a more permanent location where they will not bother my girls any more!
big_smile.png
As if this wasn't enough for the day about 20 minutes before sunset a very large hawk flies just over the girls and landed in the large oak in our back yard. The girls all ran for cover by me near the back porch. I went to scare of they hawk and when I turned around my dog had gathered all the girls in the corner by the porch and was standing on alert!

Our girls are 11 weeks old and have been raised around the Peach since day 1. I have wondered how she would act around them when a predator was around and now I know, she has taken the flock on as her own and she is there to protect. She interacts with them all the time and really has never shown any sign of aggression towards them. I am so happy with her guardian attitude today. She earned a piece of pork off the roast tonight for her good work! I won't ever let my guard down but I do have a better feeling now.

Here is a pic of her with the girls when they were obviously much smaller!

Excellent on raccoons. Make certain dog can do job after dark since raccoons will probe for window when dog not on duty. I now shoot such raccoons out of tree to reward dog to enure even better activities by dog.

I wish I knew her real breed, I got her from the pound and they said she was Black Mouth Curr and Hound Dog mix but who knows. I have seen some pictures of Vizsla and I think she may have some of that in her as well. In any case she is definitely protective of her girls. It is also funny when the girls are out and they get too far away from her she will go and push them back towards where they need to stay. She started doing that all by herself.

She knew she did well yesterday because my wife even let her sleep on the couch last night!

I wish I knew her real breed, I got her from the pound and they said she was Black Mouth Curr and Hound Dog mix but who knows. I have seen some pictures of Vizsla and I think she may have some of that in her as well. In any case she is definitely protective of her girls. It is also funny when the girls are out and they get too far away from her she will go and push them back towards where they need to stay. She started doing that all by herself.

She knew she did well yesterday because my wife even let her sleep on the couch last night!

From the angle of the photo she looks to be part Lab and maybe some type of hound.

she does look like she has a lot of cur in her... her paws and body shape remind me of a bit of Doberman or Coon hound. Does she roam? How does she use her nose? on the ground at all times?

Back
Top Bottom