My dog grabbed one of my pullets and played to hard with her.

Daktaw

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2022
Now she has a wound 2 in long and 2 in wide under her wing across the side of her back. I cleaned it with diluted betadine and put triple antibiotic on and covered it with a non stick pad and wrapped it up with that stretch vet wrap. So I get that Veterycin plus and use it and leave it open to get air?

Sorry about the accident, but you will need to train the dog or make sure that it cannot get to your chickens or you will lose them. I havd to use a shock collar on my golden retriever years ago to learn to stay away from the chickens if one flew over into the yard. The other 2 dogs ignored the chickens or maybe the golden taught them to stay away.

Make sure to separate your chicken in a wire dog crate and keep her from any flies. She can stay in the coop/run with others, but they won’t peck her wounds. Saline, Vetericyn, or 2% chlorhexidene are good to clean wounds, followed by antibiotic ointment twice a day until healing. Usually, leaving it open to air is best. New wounds can be stitched by a vet. If you have to keep her in the house or garage for healing, be sure to take her out with the others for supervised visits, so she is not gone too long from the flock. That can mess up the pecking order, and you would then have to reintegrate her.

Sorry about the accident, but you will need to train the dog or make sure that it cannot get to your chickens or you will lose them. I havd to use a shock collar on my golden retriever years ago to learn to stay away from the chickens if one flew over into the yard. The other 2 dogs ignored the chickens or maybe the golden taught them to stay away.

Make sure to separate your chicken in a wire dog crate and keep her from any flies. She can stay in the coop/run with others, but they won’t peck her wounds. Saline, Vetericyn, or 2% chlorhexidene are good to clean wounds, followed by antibiotic ointment twice a day until healing. Usually, leaving it open to air is best. New wounds can be stitched by a vet. If you have to keep her in the house or garage for healing, be sure to take her out with the others for supervised visits, so she is not gone too long from the flock. That can mess up the pecking order, and you would then have to reintegrate her.
I've got her in a wooden box worth chicken wire on the sides so the other pullets can hear and see her. She's eating and drinking and seems to be doing well today. I just pray she doesn't have infection later on. I'm using Vetermycin and then using triple antibiotic after.

I've got her in a wooden box worth chicken wire on the sides so the other pullets can hear and see her. She's eating and drinking and seems to be doing well today. I just pray she doesn't have infection later on. I'm using Vetermycin and then using triple antibiotic after.
Also the dog was my mother's dog. She's usually really good with my chickens as they run loose. But she likes her stuffed toys. And she had a little chicken that crows when she squeezes it when she plays. And she used that little pullet like that toy. She was locked in my house that day as my mom came back to swim in the pool and someone let her out. My dog is a beagle that is in a invisible fence. His problem is her wants to run off after the deer he sees here in the valley.

But she likes her stuffed toys. And she had a little chicken that crows when she squeezes it when she plays. And she used that little pullet like that toy.

Yeah, it's hard to blame the dog when it was trained to use a (stuffed toy) chicken as a squeaky toy to play with for fun. Probably very confusing for the dog, too. Sounds like you are doing all you can for your injured pullet.

:old FWIW, I don't treat my chickens as pets. If anyone of them gets sick or hurt, I'll do my best to try to nurse it back to health, but, I won't bring any of my chickens to our local vets. As I have said a number of times, I can replace my entire backyard flock a number of times over for the cost of a single vet visit. I know a number of people on the BYC community treat their chickens as pets, and it is worth it to them to take a sick or injured chicken to the vet, but I just want to add my sentiment that you don't have to feel guilty about NOT taking a sick or injured chicken to the vet. Over the years, I have learned how to save some of my chickens when sick or injured, but not all. I am willing to accept a loss here or there knowing that ultimately, chickens have a short life span, and can be replaced if needed. That may sound harsh, but that attitude works for me and has allowed me financially over 40+ years of having and caring for small animals.

In any case, I hope your chicken recovers from her wounds. Additionally, it might be a good time to (re)think the safety of your chickens in your setup. I keep my chickens in a fenced chicken run where they are safe from a neighborhood dog wandering through my property. So far, 3+ years, I have had a number of dogs sniffing around my chicken coop and run, but no attacks. The fencing has kept them on the outside.

Yeah, it's hard to blame the dog when it was trained to use a (stuffed toy) chicken as a squeaky toy to play with for fun. Probably very confusing for the dog, too. Sounds like you are doing all you can for your injured pullet.

:old FWIW, I don't treat my chickens as pets. If anyone of them gets sick or hurt, I'll do my best to try to nurse it back to health, but, I won't bring any of my chickens to our local vets. As I have said a number of times, I can replace my entire backyard flock a number of times over for the cost of a single vet visit. I know a number of people on the BYC community treat their chickens as pets, and it is worth it to them to take a sick or injured chicken to the vet, but I just want to add my sentiment that you don't have to feel guilty about NOT taking a sick or injured chicken to the vet. Over the years, I have learned how to save some of my chickens when sick or injured, but not all. I am willing to accept a loss here or there knowing that ultimately, chickens have a short life span, and can be replaced if needed. That may sound harsh, but that attitude works for me and has allowed me financially over 40+ years of having and caring for small animals.

In any case, I hope your chicken recovers from her wounds. Additionally, it might be a good time to (re)think the safety of your chickens in your setup. I keep my chickens in a fenced chicken run where they are safe from a neighborhood dog wandering through my property. So far, 3+ years, I have had a number of dogs sniffing around my chicken coop and run, but no attacks. The fencing has kept them on the outside.
Thanks I'm like you I won't take a chicken to the vet. As I can buy more. I do believe this little girl is going to make it. She isn't sick yet. But, I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom