My dog just went crazy, what should I do?

Also...i wanted to say..
Do NOT try any dog rolling or pinning down at this point...(because shes already challenged you VERY seriously....)
It will just end up in a power struggle/dog fight and it will MAKE the dog bite you...
Get the prong/pinch collar with a long lead on it.. to start with...(in case she jumps at you).. and call a high risk dog trainer ASAP. Or bring the dog to be put down..because shes a ticking bomb right now..

A friend of mine had a problem GP like this. He would be fine for a while and then one day, he'd go ape sh**. Then, a few days later, he'd be fine again. He was a doll and a big baby, but when these "episodes" happened, he was something that shouldn't exist. She ended up getting rid of him. A couple with many years of experience with problem GPs took him. He's fine now. If they hadn't taken him, he'd have been euthanized. Bear, come to find out, was inbred. If you don't know a whole lot about the breeder and his actual pedigree, odds are it's inbred. I'm sorry you're going through this...

Oh and to go along with a few others... DO NOT try to pin this dog. For one, it's a very large breed and a VERY strong breed of dog. It can and will out power you. Two... it's already displaying its dominance over you. Trying to pin this dog is going to make that even more apparent. You resisting its dominance at that point WILL make it attack you. Dogs are pack animals obviously. It's not all that uncommon for a dominant dog or wolf to kill another because it refused to submit. Please be careful and either get professional help or put this dog down. Until then, keep it pen and/or tied outside away from other animals and people. I don't know about your dog, but Bear was an escape artist so he had to be tied to keep him in one area. Make sure that you tie it will a wire tie-out and have a very strong collar on the dog, They can and will break collars and rope. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Sometimes it is just a matter of them having something wrong in the brain. My DH and I decided to keep ours, but as I stated before we live on 20 acres and have no children. Whenever we have company the dog is locked in the bedroom. DO NOT try and pen the dog down, I can tell you from experience these dogs are going to fight a good fight and really don't know it is you they are fighting. I have been bitten many times and after the bite, in the next 5 seconds, our dog is trying to lick the wound and he has no idea what happened. Would I do this again, ABSOLUTELY NOT. Fortunately our dog is now 10 years old and has slowed down enough that he is easier to manage and we have not had a episode in about 18 months.

Quote:
I am sorry you feel this way. They are dogs not kids or humans. If people would stop treating them like humans I feel may of the problems with them would not happen.

I do not see how you can say this is not severe. The dog lunged at him growling. Have you ever had 110 pound dog lung at you????? This a a big problem.

As far as living with guilt, there should be none what so ever. This is a major problem and if something is not done NOW there might be guilt when the dog attacks someone else.

I've made the decision not to put her down, for now.
I can't justify in my own mind to put her down for one isolated incidence. I don't have any intention of ignoring the problem though.
I'm probably going to get prong collar, even though I don't really like them, but the bottom line is to be dominant over the dog, I'll have to inflict pain on her. humanely, of course or at least as much as possible. We have her in an underground fence with a shock collar I'll also use. I'm not going to pen her down- at least not for a long while. If I do it will be when I know she's back to her old self and with a few other people.

Thank you again!

Also know that the prong collar isn't going to help much if she isn't on a leash 24/7, and that you can't leave it or a slip collar/choke chain on her when she ISN'T on a leash. Use caution.

Get a remote control shock collar, shave her neck and let her have it every time she even LOOKS at a chicken or shows any agression towards you. And then either rehome her to a non-chicken, no children (experienced home) or get her some serious training...

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
A prong collar is NOT about inflicting pain on them...actually, if its used correctly..it dosent "hurt" them.....
see..you have to understand how a dogs brain works...what they were taught as pups in the litter by mom and the other dogs....
when a pup is being bad or too rough...mom grabs the pup by the neck...and gives a little shake and the pup automatically goes submissive...the prong collar works just like that...
it gives the dog a pinch/pressure on its neck to let the dog knows its doing wrong...and that you are dominat over it..
also...the collar doesnt really pinch..its more of a pressure feeling..
So..no..its NOT about pain...if you start to be too rough with her..she will just turn on you more... I'm telling you...believe me.
You can show a dog that you are dominant over it with out causing it pain...i hope you understand this....

Last edited:
I don't mean to be stubborn, but I would really like to push this issue.

Please, hire a behaviorist. It will be better in the long run, if you go ahead and hire a trainer now. By bringing in a trainer now, she/he can teach you how to think and work with the animal. Many times people can make a dog worse by attempting training methods themselves.

All you need is one session with a behaviorist. They will show you how to correct the problem yourself and problem is solved. Many times incorrect handling of problem dogs, makes the behavior worst, sometimes to the point you have to ship the dog off to doggy bootcamp to endure hardcore training.

Do yourself and the dog a huge favor and bring in a professional. I promise it will be easier and cheaper in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom