My Dog Killed My Duck And Now Im Crying

You know, I can see both sides to this story here. Yes, some dogs have a natural prey drive that is higher than others. But at the same time killing is not necessarily "natural" either. There are plenty of members here with animals that are prone to high prey drives, and retrievers. Myself and Katharinad just to name two. And our animals do not kill our ducks. But to make the blanket statement that is just natural, implies to me that the behavior should be brushed off as normal. I personally feel, that anyone in a home with a variety of animals, has a right to be concerned about an animal that kills their other animals. Sounds like that home is perhaps not the best for the dog.

On the other hand, its hard to "punish" an animal, for having that instinct to kill. I don't consider rehoming an animal as a punishment, if it is in the best interest of all involved. Some dogs have that instinct. Are they bad dogs, no. Is it the dog's "fault"? No. Ultimately, the tragedy, while terrible, was preventable. As are a lot of poultry deaths, if you think about it. Should they have been allowed to interact? Absolutely not. But most often lessons are learned by experience. Now this family knows that they have some choices. They can keep the dog, and go through the process of ensuring a safe environment for all of their animals, or they can decide that a dog who kills their ducks is not for them, and responsibly find it a new owner.

Last edited:
ok. look guys i don't want to get rid of the dog i love the dog the reason she is getting rid o the dog is because WE HAVE TO MANY ANIMALS THAT SHE WOULD LOVE TO EAT (not really eat but hurt badly and maybe kill), I really like the dog i don't want her to go. but we have tons of sheep, goats, chickens, and ducks that if she got of that cable once she would kill one of them again. and i sure she didn't mean to kill the duck i think she just wasn't sure what it was and she just wanted to play, i loved the duck and yeah i still sad but i forgive the dog and i wish we didn't have to get rid of her ok. so I'm sorry if i started a argument ok.

Last edited:
Quote:
You don't have to be sorry, your family has to do what is best for all involved, including your other animals.
hugs.gif
Last fall we had a dog put down because of cancer. She was a nice dog but she was a killer and required very careful management her whole life. I probably shouldn't have kept her as long as I did but she absolutely loved her people and she was bonded with me. Part of me was relieved that she was gone because I feared just such an occurance as you had.

So don't feel bad. The decision is out of your hands anyway.

Quote:
You don't have to be sorry, your family has to do what is best for all involved, including your other animals.
hugs.gif
Last fall we had a dog put down because of cancer. She was a nice dog but she was a killer and required very careful management her whole life. I probably shouldn't have kept her as long as I did but she absolutely loved her people and she was bonded with me. Part of me was relieved that she was gone because I feared just such an occurance as you had.

So don't feel bad. The decision is out of your hands anyway.

I agree, nothing to apologize for. We all have opinions that tend to be voiced....boisterously. No arguments, just good loud discussions
tongue.png

I'm sorry your mom is getting rid of the dog, I can see how that would hurt as well. Hopefully she will find a wonderful home without so many delectable live treats...

I am sorry about your duck and sorry you have had to deal with the choice of haivng to rehome your dog.
I personally think you have made the only decision there is. You cannot have an animal on a farm that kills other livestock, whether it is instinct or not. And the idea that it was an accident and won't happen again is not realistic. Animals get off chains, gates get left unlatched, if a dog has a high instinct to kill it doesn't belong around livestock or poultry. It belongs with a family who'll take it for walks and play fetch. That isn't a punishment it is just a different lifestyle.
Good luck and I hope you are able to find another dog that works better for your situation.

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your loss. Much the same thing happened here last June. I thought i could trust my old, crippled dog with the ducks while i worked in the front yard coz she couldnt chase them. Sadly the ducks were so trusting Dunkin walked right up to her and was eaten. I was furious with the dog but after the initial shock I could only blame myself. Ducks that cant fly away, ducklings, tamed and trusting ducks are very vulnerable, day and night. Its our responsibility to keep them safe. Inpenetrable houses, strong fences and attention. All you can do for your poor baby is make her a nice grave and talk to her and learn to do better in the future. Dogs chase and ducks run, they cant help themselves unless theyre very well trained. Try to forgive your dog too. Probably has no idea why youre mad. Q

I am so sorry for your loss. And I understand your mom's first reaction being wanting to get rid of the dog.

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. My little shih tzu killed 3 baby ducks. Thing was, she's so playful I think she just wanted to play and didn't understand they were babies and couldn't play back. It didn't mean she was vicious. It just meant I was lax in making sure she couldn't get to the babies.

Once scolded she KNEW it was bad and we've NEVER had a problem with her again. of course, I've never let her be alone with them again either.

Try to ask your mom to give the dog another chance. She was just doing what dogs do. And just make sure you watch her and that whoever puts her out makes sure the ducks aren't near.

Again.. I am sooooooooooooooo sorry. I know how it feels. *tight hug*

I did make a grave for her, and this might sound silly and don't laugh at me but sometimes when I'm sad I'll go sit by her grave and talk to her it makes me feel better lol and now my mom is getting some new ducks for me cause she feels bad and i told her not to but she is anyway lol if your wanting to know what they are I'm getting 2 Indian runners 1 male 1 female 3 rouen 1 male 2 females and 5 khaki Camp bells 2 males and 3 females (FYI i already have 1 female khaki 3 rouen idk what they are and 1 ancona hen 1 cayuga hen and 1 crested rouen drake) and those last 3 are for sale on byc just so you know. and thanks misticalmom for the tight hug lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom