My dogs eat each others collars! Help

There is a spray on product called bitter apple, spray the collars really good.

Bitter apple should work. You will need to reapply it. Also get them some huge chew bones. They are cheaper than collars. Deer antlers work well for destructive chewers. Those last a long time.
The only other thing I can think of is one of those muzzles that looks like a little cage around the mouth. But I have never used one and don't think it would be the best option because they do need to chew to keep those teeth healthy.​

Well we got spray Bitter Yuck from petsmart today and it didn't seem to affect them much. They said we could return it and get the bitter apple stuff if it didn't work. I think the issue is they play fight by grabbing each others necks and pulling and biting and this breaks the collars. They instigate each other and it's part of the fun in watching them but I don't have enouh control to make them stop. Once they get going they are fully engaged in play and don't care if their mouth taste awful or what.

Last edited:
Try this:

Go to a local drug store, one that has lots of personal grooming products.
Get a *can* of *unscented* arosol Antipersperant.
Spray collars generously, Let dry. Spray again.
Put on dogs.
Watch as they taste the antipersperant. LOL!!!

What it does is instantly dry up the mucous membranes in the mouth. It also has a nasty flavor all on its own. Dogs hate it, and it doesn't hurt them. You just have to reapply regularly. it is also less expensive to get a large can of this, than to even get a small bottle of Bitter Apple. If this doens't work I have other things you can try. I have yet to see this NOT work though. Good luck
smile.png

Quote:
But then they are being chased around by a horrible smell, and it won't really deter chewing since they are cooped up with the smell all night. It's better as a deterent off the dog.

Milk jugs aren't really safe toys for them. Get them some black XL Kongs and put some peanut butter in them each night, or mix their kibble with some canned dog food, stuff in the Kong and freeze. My really tough chewers like the galileo bone by nylabone as well. These are all fairly pricy toys, so I would say they are ONLY allowed them at night. And aren't allowed to lose them in the yard during the day.

Quote:
But then they are being chased around by a horrible smell, and it won't really deter chewing since they are cooped up with the smell all night. It's better as a deterent off the dog.

At least they won't chew on it anymore.....
big_smile.png
Be too busy trying to rub their colors on the ground trying to get rid of that smell!
lol.png

Quote:
My dog thought Bitter Yuck from Petsmart was just extra flavoring
roll.png
We fell asleep with her out of the crate, and she chewed up the wall around our bedroom door. lol We tried the spray because once she had the sheetrock all peeled up she would continue to mess with it.
Never tried the bitter "apple" stuff though, since the first spray didn't help I was reluctant to spend more money on sprays.

I think the cheapest solution to your problem is likely to get a "real" fence that doesn't require collars. If you think about it, two $100 collars per week is gonna add up to more than the cost of a real (physical barrier) fence pretty darn fast ---- even if you have to buy an electric fence charger to reinforce it (for climbover or digging).

The downside to bitter apple is that if you use it on their collar, than touch the collar, it is now on your hands.
We learned this the hard way with one of ours who would eat leashes (he loved the taste of bitter apple by the way) and me smoking (touching my hand to my mouth)

Back
Top Bottom