My dogs eat each others collars! Help

Im not sure if your invisible fence system has the extra remote for CORRECTION, my unit came with one, it is a great training tool, It has the corrective tone, then you can administer the Zap if they dont get the hint. Goodluck.

Well they chewed an already broken collar off the other day. Obviously the antipreperant isn't working anymore. We also just tried putting vaseline on the collar and sprinkling cayenne pepper on it to no avail. So it's back to the drawing board. I am scared to leave the collars on and they have been pushing their boundries lately. Digging up a flower bed they usually couldn't reach, sleeping on a chair against the fence, inching closer to the road, etc. I put the collars on them sometimes when Im out but it's getting to be a pain.

I use studded leather collars, the kind with two rows of studs. This helps keep them chewing the collar, the other animals from chewing them and also for protection since they are GP's and guard the livestock.

You have a tough situation but... I have a cheaper solution for you. Remember these are dogs. They inherently want to please you. You just have to let them know this.

First, get a squirt bottle of water and add 1 cup of listerine to 2 cups water. put it on a stream spray. DONT LET THEM SEE THE BOTTLE. Now this will take alot of your time.. you must follow through. Put the dogs in a place where you can be within accurate spray distance. as soon as they start to chew the collar, use a command voice. No. "NO" . IF you dont have a command voice then this will be usless. Learn how to have a command voice.. GOOGLE It if your unsure. Everyone has one, they sometimes need practice. Back to the chewing collar issue. When the dogs hear you say NO, and they do Not stop. you sneakily spray them on the snout. It will get in their eye but it will not cause damage. it is an IRRITATION. I have tried it on my own eyes and it sucks but it will get the dogs attention.

then after you apply the correction, love them up, and let them go back to the play, AS SOON AS ONE Starts to chew the collar again, you SAY COMMAND VOICE NO!! and repeat the spray.

SOON they will GET the message.. This might take all night.. or might just take an hour. IF YOU ARE NOT CONSISTANT In the training.. then don't even start. The dogs will not be benefited by inconsistant training.
HAppy training.

I have trained security dogs to not go after cats with this method.. it works.

Jack

When u use the Bitter apple - saturate the collar then spray some directly in their mouth! I have use on labs and a Rottie and it worked!!!

I had a similar problem with collar chewing. I bought some little rings on Amazon and gathered a few parts from numerous other chewed collars and leashes. With a little help from YouTube I constructed a Chainmail collar for about $15. You can likely wire the control unit on one

I have designed and built a collar that you simply place on the dog, that uses a low voltage to detour your dog and other dogs from chewing on the collar. I tried all the anti chew sprays with no success. In my case I have 2 dogs together and one was always chewing the collar off of the other. That all stopped when I placed my collar on the dogs. please email me at [email protected] if you would like more information about the collar or if you wish to purchase one.

I would use a a small chain collor they cant chew or break it. Trust me it has happened to me before my puppy chewd all her collors until they chain one hope this helps :love

Well a chain collar is fine if you are only interested it stopping the dog from chewing the collar while he is wearing the chain collar. But if you want to teach a dog not to chew a collar? No matter what type of collar you have on them.
Then you really need to look into the collar that I described in the previous post. It is called ( The invisible shield collar) it not only stops the dog from chewing the collar, but it trains them not to chew any type of collar. such as, an underground fence collar, those are expensive and when you're dogs chew those in two on a regular basis it gets expensive, when collar falls off and you can't find it or even worse you're dog runs away because he no longer has on his underground fence collar. You can get more info on the Invisible Shield Collar by sending an email to [email protected] This collar is simple to use ,you just place it on the dog and the collar does the rest. There is no need to stay with the dog and push a button on a remote like you have to do with those remote training collars.

Hope this helps everyone with dogs that chew their collars off or chew collars off of other dogs.

I know this thread was started in 2010, but it looks like folks are still finding it when they are encountering chew problems. I too have gone through hundreds of dollars with our "shock box woes." I have tried all of the bitter spray and paste products as well, and nothing worked... I finally resorted to modifying PVC as a cover for the box, which screws right onto the collar and covers the box. It works GREAT. After going through 9 (yes 9) shock boxes over the course of three months, I finally figured out a design for the cover. It is super thick and so far so good after four months. I wanted to give smoke time with my little experiment before I threw it on here. I would like to say that we use this for a shorthair, and you must know that the cover is extremely large (probably too large for my German shorthair pointer) but it worKS. On my labs it is much more doable because it is large, as they are. I think I am going to throw a few on eBay- but I will have to do them custom for whatever shock collar you have (innotek grey box older style? Innotek/pet safe newer style?) I am going to sell them ready to go WITH a collar so that the design structure is obvious and I can make the holes, but you can make your own holes on your own collar if you would like (just need a torch and a steel point to melt your own holes). Cost will be $65. The reason it works is because it's large, your doggie can't get its mouth over it. Email me if you are interested with title "doggie woes" and we can figure something out. :) [email protected]12.ia.us ps-the reason innotek and pet safe has not come up with this design is that they LIKE us buying boat loads of collars....grrrrrr

Back
Top Bottom