My dogs eat each others collars! Help

Hands down mom has to go. I would never force my animals outside, home protection and companionship are the very reasons I purchase these animals. Mom doesn't like it? Tell her to find another place to live. Problem solved.

Everyone who talks about bitter apple spray and needing toys and whatever are foolish. If you have a dog who has decided to chew the expensive invisible fence collar -- or the plain collar of another pet, no spray on taste is going to deter them. And you can give them all the toys they could possibly play with and they'll still return to chew the collar at some point. The only foolproof ways to prevent them from chewing something they have found fun to chew is watch them 24X7X365 or separate the dogs or figure out a way to cover the collar's expensive part in something unchewable. Plain and simple. You will not find a chewing dog paying any attention in most cases to nasties coated on something. They do tend to grow out of this after few years

Could you put the dogs on chains/tieouts when you aren’t there to supervise? When I have a young dog that needs time to chill out I put them on the chain with a big meaty bone. They learn really quick that chain = chill out time, and off the chain = fun time.
I would definitely not give them plastic jugs to chew, that’s a one way street to an expensive intestinal blockage. Plus you’re teaching them that chewing on plastic is okay, which is reinforcing the chewing of the ecollar boxes. The more they practise getting to chew on the collars the harder it’ll be to get them to stop.
You could try BioThane or PVC collars, pvc is usually what I see sold with collars. I use biothane for my dogs collars and it’s tough as anything, even when they’re roaring around play fighting, hunting, etc. two of my dogs play by hanging of each other’s necks, and there’s not a single tooth mark in either of their collars.

Back
Top Bottom