My drake chases me everywhere?

Milkyisa

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2019
hello!
My 6 month old Pekin Drake has recently started chasing me everywhere!
We have introduced a new female to the flock recently, now there are 3 ducks and him.
Suddenly, he follows me closely everywhere, nips my toes and heels and is surprisingly less afraid of the hose :/

I treat it affectionately and give him a hug before pushing him back to my ducks but right back over he comes. So closely I have to be careful not to step on his feet! He even tries to follow me into the house (with a little coaxing he gives up easily and goes back out.)

The female we recently got is egg laying while our other two females do not lay yet.
So, is it this new friend who has triggered this behaviour? Or is it just the age when he starts to get overly cocky?

Thanks! elke!

Was this duck raised by himself? Sometimes they just can't figure out how to be a duck when they're not raised with their own kind.

When they mature, most drakes are psychotic, IMO. Our neighbor had a lone drake who was obsessed with her daughter. He would follow her everywhere, pull at her shoe laces for attention and tug at her pants legs. If anyone came near them, he would go full blown Rambo on the intruder, including the free range chickens. The girl was HIS human, and nobody better trespass.
Good luck with your new best friend forever....

One of our females gets this way when a new duck (male or female) is introduced. She has allways been really tame; and it seems for her it's either when the new duck is dominant she follows us out of scaredness (also wants to sit on lap) and when the new duck is not dominant she seems to does this more to show the new duck who's boss; and sometimes even starts to hoard/attack/try to mate with us.
She quits after a few days.

For drakes; we only had scarery-cat softy drakes. So no experience in how they can get.

Back
Top Bottom