My duck/chicken life

Pics
She would peck me regardless if I was holding her or just trying to recover eggs. I gave her six fertile eggs (she lives in a convent) but she wasn't happy with that and wanted more. She would steal eggs from the other nest box and add them to her clutch. I have skin of leather, so I really didn't mind the pecking. But she put up a fight every time I took her extra eggs. She turned out to be a horrible mom and the four she hatched got killed by the rest of the girls in the convent. That was the first and last time I used a broody.

She would peck me regardless if I was holding her or just trying to recover eggs. I gave her six fertile eggs (she lives in a convent) but she wasn't happy with that and wanted more. She would steal eggs from the other nest box and add them to her clutch. I have skin of leather, so I really didn't mind the pecking. But she put up a fight every time I took her extra eggs. She turned out to be a horrible mom and the four she hatched got killed by the rest of the girls in the convent. That was the first and last time I used a broody.
We seperate our broodies when the eggs are getting close to hatching.

Good morning :frow

Separating them makes a lot of sense.
Yep. Built a brooder last year specifically for broody mommies and babies. It's right against our coop pen so we don't have to worry about integrating later on. They'll both see and hear the chicks pretty much from day one. But won't be able to get to them.

I must have some chicken DNA in me. When I get a new appliance, I generally worry about plugging it in just in case it might blow up or go up in flames. Always try to find a sucker er ah, I mean volunteer to do it for me.

Back
Top Bottom