My duck feels weak and struggles to walk

b444

Hatching
May 14, 2023
Hello I have a duck that is 9 years old and he's never had any issues for all 9 years but last few days he started to struggle to walk and is feeling little weak mostly sleeps he drinks water and eats but as eating he doesn't eat much we feed him with grain wheat, leafy greens , cucumbers and his favorite is tomatoes also loves cat food. we had him to the vet but vet never had any experience with birds they gave him vitamins and he seems little stronger today but was wondering if anyone had similar experience with ducks that could suggest anything to help I really appreciate, we are going to take him to zoo tomorrow because the vet we usually go for our cat & dog is really good but she never had any experience with birds so at zoo they most likely have vets that know about birds so will see what they will tell us 🦆💜 meanwhile ill read other similar posts thank you all in advance.

:welcome
I'm sorry duck is having problems, at age 9 they are bound to happen but What sticks out to me is that your not feeding a balanced diet like a feed specific for waterfowl or poultry in general.
What breed are you talking about?
I think it is a good idea to take him where the vet is more knowledgeable about birds.

I have 4 Muscovy that are 11 yrs old 3 will be 12 in June and July. Although I do see some slowing down and my drake is now taking Cosequin daily because of a leg injury that I am pretty sure turned to arthritis they are really doing pretty good. Even have an egg from these girls once in a while.
I'd get him on a balanced diet the other foods your giving him are healthy but may not be giving him the nutrients he needs now that he is older. And I do think a good vitamin may help too like a B Complex TSC carries one called Durvet liquid b complex it can help strengthen legs and also stimulate his appetite. It's chock full of good B vitamins. 1ml over something tasty he loves so your sure he gets full dose. It will say injectable but we use it orally for our birds.

:welcome

Your drake may just be showing his age. 9 years is quite old for a duck. What breed is he?

the duck breed was pekin if thats correct in english

Update: it passed away 😭wanted to take it to zoo tomorrow because it was weekend and was closed and i wanted to see if they had vets with bird knowledge since our regular vet didnt have any experience with ducks​

the duck breed was pekin if thats correct in english​

Update: it passed away 😭wanted to take it to zoo tomorrow because it was weekend and was closed and i wanted to see if they had vets with bird knowledge since our regular vet didnt have any experience with ducks​

I'm very sorry to hear this. He probably passed from old age. It's always so difficult to lose a beloved pet. Keep him in your heart and enjoy the memories of all the long years you had together. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom