My DUCK GOT ATTACKED BY MY DOG!! HELP PLEASE!!!*PICS INCLUDE

This is the one you probably wanted.
Screenshot_20201007-202715_BackYard Chickens.jpg

My notifications must have stopped when this got moved. I went looking and it was gone. Thankfully I thought to check the duck forum.

You're doing such a great job with him! Just remember to keep it MOIST.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-205048_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-205048_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20201007-205032_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-205032_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 7
Coconut Oil has NO antibacterial properties in it. I will advise NOT to use it unless you have NOTHING else and get to the store again to get the correct item. Sorry you were told differently. It won't hurt but, it won't do anything to help kill the bacteria in the wound. Dogs have a lot of bacteria on their teeth and in their mouth. That is the reason for the anti(against)bacterial ointment.
You truely need an oint with antibacterial properties like Castropony stated. I resent the pictures of what you do want to get.

Last edited:
How is she doing this morning?
I've been off for a couple of days, so I'm now just seeing this thread. You've been given lots of good advice, but there are a few things that I think need to be mentioned.

One being the timeframe between when the wound occurred, and when lavaging was done. It was delayed way too long then it's supposed to be. What does that mean? Bacteria were able to multiply on the wound's surface, and possibly spread further into the body. From what I gathered, the flushing (lavaging) was done a several hours after the wound occurred, so that would suggest the wound was near the debridement stage, which put simply consists of the bodies natural defense cells like WBC's, macrophages, all moving to the wound to help fight off the bacteria and to try to expel any debris. This is a bad time to flush because you're flushing out these good cells essential to healing.

Of course, it's all done and over with, and there nothing you can do about it now, but you can be more aggressive with your treatment. As far as the wound care, I would not use coconut oil, preferably you use an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin, or Preparation H, but if you can't get either of those opt for plain honey. AS already stated keep the wound moist, and constantly be monitoring the wound, and for the development of maggots.

Since wound care was delayed, and we're dealing with a bite wound, which originates from a dog, therefore likely contains plentiful amounts of bacteria like staphylococcus, I would suggest starting her on antibiotics as well. I realize money is a concern, but starting her on an antibiotic might be your best bet. You can get penicillin G at some feed stores like TSC, but as you may already know some bacteria are already building resistance to penicillin, so buying something like Cephalexin, Enrofloxacin, or Clindamycin, might be the best route. Here are links to where you can buy some of the antibiotics.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/clindamycin-fish-cin-fish-antibiotic
https://www.walmartpetrx.com/p-2389-fish-flex-cephalexin.aspx

Don't let her sit in water as she may get cold. Sick/injured birds tend to not drink or eat as much, therefore their metabolic energy levels drop which can subsequently lead to hypothermia, that is the reason why she needs to be in a warm area, preferably not under a heat lamp, since it can dry their skin out faster, contrary to a heating pad. Her weight needs to be monitored daily to ensure she is drinking, and eating well. A 5 to 10% decrease in her weight, over a few days, and she likely will need some sort of supplemental tube feeding in place. If you can, try to post pictures of her wounds every day, and a few pictures of her poop.

Hello. About 3yrs ago i had a dog that got hold of my hen. I caught him just in time. Her back muscles were completely exposed he had plucked her and tore through her skin. When i found her she looked like she had already gave up amd was going to let him. She looked up at me like "help" I brought her in cleaned her back with warm water and put gauze to hold her off until I got peroxide anitibiotic ointment and Nustock. I swear by that stuff. Well the next day as she was still eating normally I took her out for no more than 5mins and i noticed a fly on her back. I brought her back in and went to clean her up and redo her bandages. She had maggots in her skin pockets under her wing😳 picked out each and every one. She eventually healed and went back to laying in like 2 weeks. She still has a limp but shes healthy and my little survivor. Good luck heres a pic at day 6 before I applied her Nustock on it. I get mine at my local feed store. I hope my story gives u hope that ur duck could pull thru. Just keep it clean
20180407_191200.jpg
20180407_191223.jpg

Thats a lot of conflicting advice here poor girls gona get confused and overwelmed ......i know u all trying to help jus saying how it looks when i read it 💖💖
Sammi, I'm glad you noted A Lot of conflicting advise.
When you review the people that are providing her with Expertise in wound management such as Castropony and Agyzous, most are providing personal input. Once the Experienced arrived on the scene, you can note most of us that were initially helping backed out and allowed them to take over.
Then we became the "Cheerleaders" to the cause.
You will note, Castropony is not only citing the treatment plan directly from an Avian Textbook. She is posting pictures of the pages to support her treatment plan while trying to educate those that pipe in giving advise based on their "own" experience and not based on "Best Practice". We need to all learn from this very stressful situation.
I know I sure did.
Thankfully, all medical treatment is based on Evidence to support the treatment. As a BSN, RN I provide care in the hospital based on Evidence--Thank God for all humans.
Therefore, treatment for trauma with an Avian patient and their owners are entitled to receive the same with good outcomes.
So far, Mr. Clover is surviving with his mama providing excellent care for him.
A public forum invites everyone and that includes people stating what they did for their duck or chicken and telling personal stories. While this is good, during an initial crisis, it needs to be told later for support. Karlem321 was stressed and overwhelmed and truely thought her Ducks head was going to fall off.. she was trying to deal with No supplies available and no parental support either.
Therefore, it is my opinion, personal experiences are best left for later.
After reading the posts, who would you listen to too give you treatment advice?
I know who I would want to help me!
When you read over the treatment, its basically the same, but everyone uses a different style.
Those that have earned the title "Educator" are the ones that have a proven track record.
Read what that title requires to earn it, it's not easy.
I'm glad you read the posts and hopefully bookmarked some solid treatment and mark the people to which you feel you want to follow.
Thank you for bringing your observation to the table.
In this case, I'm a Cheerleader and will reiterate the evidence brought forth.
Let's all keep learning!!!!

Back
Top Bottom