My duck has a broken foot!!!

klreyes

Hatching
Jun 17, 2017
So, I have a Pekin named Lou who is a year old. When he was a duckling my stepdaughter accidentally dropped him. He started limping and we bandaged it up right away. We took it off about a week later and he was absolutely fine. Then in October of '16 I noticed he was limping and not keeping up with the rest of the crew. I examined him and noticed his right foot was three times the size of his left and he had a bone sticking out the bottom of his foot! I rushed him to the vet where they opened his foot up and took out the dead bone and put a cast on him. After that he seemed to be healing well even though his foot was severely deformed...(the vet told me his foot will always looked deformed and he will always have a limp). Well during the winter he didn't go out of his pen much and come spring he seemed to be keeping up with his fellow duck family members. May 2017 we had a fox attack who got one of our ducks :( Lou had an injury to his neck, in which I brought him to the vet for, but he seemed to be walking like normal. Slowly I could see Lou decline in his walking...not keeping up with the others...walking a little bit then laying down to rest his foot. Tonight however he is not putting any pressure at all on his foot. The ankle part of his foot is really warm to the touch. I did give him pain medicine as we had gotten previously by the vet for him. I am going to call the vet on monday but in the meantime what should I do? I have him separated from my other seven ducks but I don't know if that is causing him more stress. Help!

Boy he's had a rough life. I wouldn't separate unless he was being picked on. I might confine him so he doesn't walk around too much. Hopefully your vet will be able to fix him up.

I know poor guy :(! I ended up putting him with the others but today he had to stay in his pen which he was not happy about! However his foot looks like it has swollen even more so I guess it looks like we are off to the vet tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom