My duck has been limping for a while now....

hayjay24

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2019
Idaho
So my female duck is about 7 months old now, and for the last 3 months she has had a massive limp. She would go back and forth to favoring both legs and we went through multiple stages of wrapping them, soaking them in Epsom, keeping her isolated, all of it except the vet. I think both her legs got fractured at some point. She gets around okay and eats good and she's laying eggs. I'm wondering if there are any sort of little braces I can make her for her legs to give them more strength? Or is there any hope of healing eventually? She tips over quit a bit and loses her balance a lot.

Keep any drake you may have away from her. I have a Magpie-Female that is limping from time to time for a couple of days. The cause of her limp is the rough mating of my Buff-Orpington drake. If you don't have a drake, maybe there is another duck matin (dominating) her? - Long story short, it is unlikely that her legs were broken in the past, a broken leg is usually a death-sentence for a duck. But she may has some problems with her hip and need some quite time to heal properly. - And the usual: Niacin and Calcium for strong legs, but i guess you've read that already…
Maybe @casportpony or @Miss Lydia have more ideas?

My duck is a Cayuga. we fed them typical organic chick, then adolescent then layer feed from d & b. we switched probably about 2 months ago to a mix we make by hand of rolled oats, sunflower seed, oyster shell, diatmetius earth, dog food that high protein, whole corn along with letting them free roam every day for at least half the day. I haven't thought of her hip being hurt yet and have done no supplements of niacin. We don't have a drake but do have a rooster. When they were young we had to separate the ducks from the chickens because he would try and get on my hurt duck and that would injure her even more. I will try and upload a video of her walking to help. Thanks so much!

My duck is a Cayuga. we fed them typical organic chick, then adolescent then layer feed from d & b. we switched probably about 2 months ago to a mix we make by hand of rolled oats, sunflower seed, oyster shell, diatmetius earth, dog food that high protein, whole corn along with letting them free roam every day for at least half the day. I haven't thought of her hip being hurt yet and have done no supplements of niacin. We don't have a drake but do have a rooster. When they were young we had to separate the ducks from the chickens because he would try and get on my hurt duck and that would injure her even more. I will try and upload a video of her walking to help. Thanks so much!
Oh my That's too much protein...Why such a mixture of pointless grains?

hahaha, well...we are newbies at all of it and saw a youtube video on a woman who used that mix for her chickens. Our main aim was to go organic and know what we were feeding them. But still very much learning. What would you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom