My duck has Green Poop... should I go to the vet? (PICS)

Pics

graypes

Songster
Jun 19, 2020
Hi! So my 2.5 month old runner drake, Booby, has green poop. noticed it a few hours ago while they were out in the yard, so I went back to check the coop, and sure enough there it was. So this problem has been going on at least 24hrs, and besides the grass they likely graze on when in the yard, I haven't given them any treats besides mealworms. He eats purina all flock.

Besides the green poop, I think he's been kind of lethargic today, BUT on the other hand the other drake was bullying him a bit as I only put one pool out today because another duck has bumble foot so I'm trying to control ground moisture (impossible feat and not the best way to go about it, but hey I was trying) SO Booby coulda just been tired.

One of his coop mates/sisters (I have the drakes and their 'harems' separated at night) is sneezing although I haven't noticed him sneezing yet. The only reason I mention this is because I have moved north for the summer and at our cottage LAST summer, booby's parent's got a viral respiratory infection, so maybe its the same thing?

ANYWAYS, there luckily is a 24hr vet an hour away, although they do not specialize in "exotics" as they were quick to tell me.

The only reason I am pausing is because I am notorious for bringing my ducks to the doctor for the smallest things and then get charged $200+ for a $10 tube of OTC ointment and some words of advice. While I am a big believer in better safe than sorry, I am trying to be a bit more practical with my veterinary expenses, so any advice is welcome.

They encouraged me to bring him now (9pm) but I think maybe I should wait it out and reevaluate the situation tomorrow around 7 am??? But who knows maybe he'll get worse and I'll need to leave ASAP I don't know...

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, THE POO:

IMG_8045.jpeg IMG_8041.jpeg
THE CULPRIT:
IMG_8046.jpeg

I have read on BYC that dark green poo is cause for concern, is this dark green? or normal green?

ok I literally just went to check and saw new poo....
IMG_8048.jpeg

it is def DARK green :th
ack what should I do??

I have him separate but next to his sisters in a large plastic tub. He ate when offered food. This poo could be the grass they may have eaten just before they came in..?? or not?

If your duck has been out in the yard dark green is 100% normal.
thank you! This dark tho? does it look ok? he is a tiny bit sluggish but I can't tell if its because of something else just because they're in the usually in the yard but I don't see this much green

Looks like eating lots of green things.

I very recently had a **** pass away her poop was vivid green. Like radioactive florescent green!
I have read on BYC that dark green poo is cause for concern, is this dark green? or normal green?
Honestly, looks normal to mee. My ducks look like this when they have been ranging or lots of treats (aka frozen peas). If they eat green things, they poop green. If they are eating dirth their poop looks like dirt. I dont typically wory about poops like that unless i haven't given them rang time (they have removed all green things from their pen).

If the poop is bright green like radioactive florecent green. You have DERIOUS concerns. I lost one of my girls recently and this was one major symptom (vets think it was a GI issue gone septic or something [she also had a crap immune system we think]). If they eat grass and its the color of grass. You are okay

My ducks have poop the color of that green after eating grass. I wouldn't feel concerned from seeing poop that color, and like you I rush to the emergency vet for every stubbed toe or, "omg she didn't eat mealworms as quickly as normal!"

My understanding is that neon green is the concern.

I don't want to discourage you from going to the vet if your duck seems lethargic or unwell, though.

@Jlw0903 @KaleIAm
thank you so much for your replies!!
So i waited until the morning and his poop is still mint green. Now he is panting pretty heavily rven though he is inside with the AC on ☹😩

heres a pic of the poo rn
there are a lot of like mint green poops and wood chips that arenpoo stained

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 15
I agree the panting is concerning. And the worst thing that will happen if you take your duck in is that you might waste some money. The worst thing that will happen if you don't take your duck in is that your duck might be very sick and pass away. If you can take your duck in you might as well, in my opinion.

Please let us know what you decide and how things go. 🦆💖

Back
Top Bottom