My duck has laid her eggs in the rabbit burrow...

GracieJ

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Wales, UK
She’s laid I don’t know how many but she’s been sitting on them for five days. I’ve stuck my phone on a selfie stick down there and can see four but can’t see anymore as the angles aren’t good. Should I get them out of there and bring her in to nest in a box or would it just disturb her? Should I leave her in the burrow? She comes out for her breaks and food etc. But I’m concerned I won’t be able to remove any broken eggs etc! Any advice? Cheers x

She probably is trying to have ducklings in secret. Because she doesn't want you to take them away. If not that she could be hiding her eggs from the flock because an egg eater is mixed in. Or there could just be a bully who has scared her away. Try coaxing her out and showing you mean no harm. If she starts trusting you a bit more lead her out with treats. Good luck!

She probably is trying to have ducklings in secret. Because she doesn't want you to take them away. If not that she could be hiding her eggs from the flock because an egg eater is mixed in. Or there could just be a bully who has scared her away. Try coaxing her out and showing you mean no harm. If she starts trusting you a bit more lead her out with treats. Good luck!
Thank you :) but this is her second bunch of eggs she has laid but first time in the rabbit burrow so not sure whether to dig it up and relocate the eggs and mother to a safer more accessible area :)

You could build her a temporary house for her self and move her there she could be an over protective mom. If you built her a little box out of ply wood and made sure no one else got in she might feel safer.

You could build her a temporary house for her self and move her there she could be an over protective mom. If you built her a little box out of ply wood and made sure no one else got in she might feel safer.
I’ve moved her and the eggs into her own place away from the others but she doesn’t want to sit on them anymore :( they’re five days in to incubating, what can I do? I’m so sad

Know anyone you can borrow one from? You probably saved your ducks life by moving her something woul most likely have sniffed her out Sorry the eggs might be lost though:(
I have another hen but she’s young and wouldn’t understand yet. Thank you for your reassurance. It has really upset me as I think the eggs are now lost. I was so excited and can’t help think I’m so stupid and I should have just left it as it was. Hopefully she’ll have more soon x

Make a place inside their house where she has nice sot bedding and she can have privacy hopefully when she begins laying again she'll use it. I make little cubby holes for my ducks in their house so they can have their own little space for laying and brooding. You did what was best for your duck is the way I am thinking. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom