My duck is mad at me, will he ever forgive me?

FalloutForMe

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 28, 2014
California
I bought a duckling about 11 months ago, and I named him Puddles. I spent all my time with him, as I was told to do. We were both very happy and he was the sweetest little duckling you could imagine. But these past couple of months, I haven't gotten to spend much time with him (I don't leave him alone, he's friends with my two small dogs and there's usually someone else around when I'm gone as well). But he's mad at me. He bites me (not nice nibbles, mind you) and doesn't generally seem to want me too close to him. But he still calls for me to come back if I walk away (same thing he's done since he was a baby, calls and calls until I come back to him). So I'm just wondering, do you think he'll ever forgive me? If I spend more time with him like I used to, do you think he might stop being so angry and biting me, or is it too late for that?

Also, I was thinking of getting another duck. Since I know they prefer company of their own kind. But I would have to spend a lot of time with it just like I did with Puddles, and I don't want him to get jealous. I was thinking maybe in a few months after Puddles and I have a better relationship (if it ever gets back to that), then I could get him a companion? What are your thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Get him another duck buddy if possible. They are social creatures and need their own kind.

And while he's a loving pet, it's not a human. It doesn't think like you. I'm betting you're stressing over this way more than the duck is. :)

My husband has a similar scenario with our year old Pekin. We did the same as you, bought one duckie - never left her, gave her all our attention and then I had to leave for a week for work. In a few days of my absence, he made a mistake and chased her away from a chicken with whom she is trying to get a little to "familiar" with. Since then, every time he gets close she barks at him in a different tone and fluffs all up and will run if he gets too close. We decided to get her companions because she wants the chicken to mount her and is mad at Dad now. We are hoping this will help her and so far (the babies are just a few weeks old) she is very curious about them.

He may be trying to communicate that he wants - umm, - an adult relationship. I don't think they care which species, once the hormones kick in. I hope I said that delicately enough.

Back
Top Bottom