My duck is not molting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by austroberta, Nov 12, 2018.

1. austroberta

austroberta Songster

Oct 1, 2017
    Oakland CA
    One of my ducks, Fiori, who has particularly ratty and dull feathers, hasn't molted. Her sister has, but I haven't noticed Fiori has shed any feathers. Does anyone know what might be going on?

She seems healthy otherwise.

Thanks!

happy duck likes this.
  2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    She’ll probably molt later. I had some chickens last year start molting in December after their coopmates finished.

austroberta and happy duck like this.
  3. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Maybe she will later...molting will come when she is ready. Maybe a pic so we can see if her feathers are ok...maybe has another problem instead of not molting.

austroberta likes this.
  4. austroberta

austroberta Songster

Oct 1, 2017
    Oakland CA
    Thanks! That's good to know!

5. austroberta

austroberta Songster

Oct 1, 2017
    Oakland CA
    The sun is not up yet, so I can't take a recent picture, but I have a picture from August.

Her feathers used to be pretty and grey, but she developed a significant amount of white feathers. I call her the little old lady.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

happy duck likes this.
  6. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    She looks fine....I think her molt will come soon tho! My duck right now looks like a ragged piece of fabric...she barley has a tail feather....her molt right now is very bad...:(

austroberta likes this.
  7. austroberta

austroberta Songster

Oct 1, 2017
    Oakland CA
    Thanks! I hope she does molt. Her sister's feathers are coming in nicely, but she looks so raggedy to me.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

I have a Buff duck in molt and quite a few Muscovy's in start or mid molt and still have some chickens finishing up. I don't know about where your located but we had warm temps for so long into fall this year I think it messed everyone up with molting. Now we're having very cold temps and some still working on getting in their new feathers.

9. austroberta

austroberta Songster

Oct 1, 2017
    Oakland CA
    It was a definite Indian Summer this year, until last weekend, when temps dipped. Now it's pretty chilly. I suppose that's what I am concerned about. If Fiori molts when it's cold, how will she keep warm? Admittedly it doesn't get too cold where I live, nevertheless, it does get a bit chilly.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Well she won't lose all her feathers and hopefully with the cold temps it will help her grow them in quicker one year I had a lavender cochin who was almost naked [I kid you not] I ended up putting a hen saver on her to keep her warm while her feathers grew in.

Julielynn810 and austroberta like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: