My duck is not molting

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
One of my ducks, Fiori, who has particularly ratty and dull feathers, hasn't molted. Her sister has, but I haven't noticed Fiori has shed any feathers. Does anyone know what might be going on?

She seems healthy otherwise.

Thanks!

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
Maybe she will later...molting will come when she is ready. Maybe a pic so we can see if her feathers are ok...maybe has another problem instead of not molting.
The sun is not up yet, so I can't take a recent picture, but I have a picture from August.

Her feathers used to be pretty and grey, but she developed a significant amount of white feathers. I call her the little old lady.

Thanks!

Attachments

• fiori.jpg
    fiori.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 27

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
She looks fine....I think her molt will come soon tho! My duck right now looks like a ragged piece of fabric...she barley has a tail feather....her molt right now is very bad...:(

Thanks! I hope she does molt. Her sister's feathers are coming in nicely, but she looks so raggedy to me.

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
I have a Buff duck in molt and quite a few Muscovy's in start or mid molt and still have some chickens finishing up. I don't know about where your located but we had warm temps for so long into fall this year I think it messed everyone up with molting. Now we're having very cold temps and some still working on getting in their new feathers.

austroberta

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
I have a Buff duck in molt and quite a few Muscovy's in start or mid molt and still have some chickens finishing up. I don't know about where your located but we had warm temps for so long into fall this year I think it messed everyone up with molting. Now we're having very cold temps and some still working on getting in their new feathers.
It was a definite Indian Summer this year, until last weekend, when temps dipped. Now it's pretty chilly. I suppose that's what I am concerned about. If Fiori molts when it's cold, how will she keep warm? Admittedly it doesn't get too cold where I live, nevertheless, it does get a bit chilly.

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Well she won't lose all her feathers and hopefully with the cold temps it will help her grow them in quicker one year I had a lavender cochin who was almost naked [I kid you not] I ended up putting a hen saver on her to keep her warm while her feathers grew in.

Top Bottom