my duck is severely injured

drewdedmon

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
So a bad storm came through today and it tipped over my ducks' cage. His neck was severely caught in some wire and i thought he was dead. I wrapped him up in blankets and kept him still for over two hours. He had minor bleeding but his neck.... like its cocked forward and he wont move it back. When he tries to stand up its like his equilibrium is off nd he just falls over while his neck is still in this strange position. He had several small seizures (from shock i believe) and there is no one near me that treats birds. What do i do? is it just bruised and stiff? is it neurological?

First off let me say
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Missouri
I also want to say how sorry I am that this happened to your little duck.
Next: He might of dislocated his neck or tore something inside. If he is unable to keep his balance and is have "seizure" like activity, then this means her most likely sustained more serious injuries (that may not heal...only time will tell).

Can you feel any bulge or bump in the neck area where it is injured?
Can he stand at all?

Treat the open wounds my cleansing with saline or warm epsome salt soaks. Then dry off really well, apply antibiotic ointment and wrap with Vet wrap.
Give him some vitamins (like Poly v sol...one without iron). This can help with neuro issues.
Cook him up some scrambled eggs with buttermilk in it (help give him extra protein to heal)
Keep him issolated, warm and watch for further signs.

Best Wishes to you both,
Laura

I can't claim to be an expert or anything, but I would just do what you're doing now. Make sure he's warm and comfortable and can get to food and drink if he wants. Also, if there is a cut on his head I might but some neosporin on it so it doesn't get infected. Sorry I can't say anything more, but I just didn't want you to keep waiting for a response, and hopefully someone else will chime in. I hope your ducky makes it!

Thanks for all the help! Im not worried about that wound at all, only his neck. And he tries to stand up but he loses his balance very very easily. We put him in a box and wrapped him up real well, checking on him every hour. He has stopped seizing, but his neck is still wierd. I think Pablo is gonna be just fine, im just worried about him walking ever again

I would still do the soaks for his neck to help relax and help with pain.....Make sure to gently massage the neck area (this will allow you to see if any bones are out of place).
Keep him in a warm dry housing til he gets better...It may be that it is like this because of the position that they were in ....

Give him poly v sol (without iron) this will help with neurological issues. (hopefully he did not break the neck )
sad.png

Make sure to give him extra protein with the scrambled eggs and buttermilk mixture.

I hope he feels better soon ...

God Bless,
Laura

Pablo had to be put down. He had severe brain injuries and his beak had busted blood vessels. He was suffering so much and he just wasn't going to get better:( goodbye friend

Back
Top Bottom