My duck leg is badly swollen

desertlearner

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2021
My duck is 1 year old. He had niacin deficiency when he was a duckling. I give him niacin supplement. He fully recovered at the time.

After grow up, he had swollen leg problem twice. He was limping. We gave him niacin both times. He fully recovered too. I hope it's not coincidence that niacin cured the problem. Now his leg is swollen again, could barely walk. We gave him niacin for several weeks. It didn't help. I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

IMG_6683.jpg
IMG_6682.jpg

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens!
So sorry about your duck. Its possible that he may have gotten a cut and it got infected, or he may have slipped and twisted a ligament.
Taking him to the vet would be the best thing to do

My duck is 1 year old. He had niacin deficiency when he was a duckling. I give him niacin supplement. He fully recovered at the time.

After grow up, he had swollen leg problem twice. He was limping. We gave him niacin both times. He fully recovered too. I hope it's not coincidence that niacin cured the problem. Now his leg is swollen again, could barely walk. We gave him niacin for several weeks. It didn't help. I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

View attachment 2554606View attachment 2554607
I am having the same problem in one of my ducks! Both of her hocks are swollen like this, no vets around see ducks. I'm wondering if draining all the fluid around her joints will help my girl out but I'm terrified ill just make things worse for her!

View attachment 2554606View attachment 2554607

I am having the same problem in one of my ducks! Both of her hocks are swollen like this, no vets around see ducks. I'm wondering if draining all the fluid around her joints will help my girl out but I'm terrified ill just make things worse for her!
Check out the bottoms of their feet and make sure that they're not injured and that injury is causing the infection in the leg(s).
If the vet visits ($100, or so) are out of your budget, check out the feed store and see if they can reccomend an oral antibiotic that they may have in stock.
Good luck!

Check out the bottoms of their feet and make sure that they're not injured and that injury is causing the infection in the leg(s).
If the vet visits ($100, or so) are out of your budget, check out the feed store and see if they can reccomend an oral antibiotic that they may have in stock.
Good luck!
My issue is, thankfully I can afford a vet visit... but no vet in my area will see ducks. My girls feet are good, I've checked from every angle. I'm going to TSC here in a bit. A lady that works there has ducks and is quite knowledgeable. I'm hoping she is there so I can pick her brain!

Back
Top Bottom