My duck(unknown/almost a year?) is snapping at my chickens(7weeks)

Foxeh

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2016
South Australia
We just put out chicks out with our grown duck(just 1 duck) and she has been snapping at them when they get close, is this just cause they are new and she's showing the pecking order or should i be worried? will the chicks gang up on her or hurt her? am i going to wake up to a dead duck or chicken?

If it helps any the duck has been alone for months, she's not use to being around other birds other than the rare pigeon/wild dove

Bonus: This is daisy in her yard, before the chickens moved in

Last edited:
Oh Boy........Ducks can kill Chickens......I have Ducks and Chickens...They are all the same age.....My Ducks hate the Chickens...You need a Plan B...Separate them..........I have a Chicken Coop and Run and a Duck house and Run...

Cheers!

How old are the ducks and chickens? She'll probably just show her dominance, but like chickens really said, I'd have an extra pen. My ducks and chickens tend to stay apart,and on occasion do fight but there is usually any injury., you would wait and see how today goes, and if she isn't too rough, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would put roost up, for them to get away from her. But,if she is really determined to get them, she will fly up, and Muscovies are pretty good roost ducks.

How old are the ducks and chickens? She'll probably just show her dominance, but like chickens really said, I'd have an extra pen. My ducks and chickens tend to stay apart,and on occasion do fight but there is usually any injury., you would wait and see how today goes, and if she isn't too rough, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ages are in the title, we don't really have the means to build another house, i could move the old dog house in there but it cant be shut so cats could get into it and attack

Oh yeah,sorry didn't notice.

Well, seeing as the chicks are so young, the duck could very much so kill them. I would put them back inside their brooder for the sake of their life's, or just set the brooder in the duck coop an diet them get aquatinted.

Eventually once the chicks are older ($,5,6 months),and can fend for themselves, then I would release them with the duck. As of right now, their too vulnerable and small and could easily get crushed by the duck.

We just put out chicks out with our grown duck(just 1 duck) and she has been snapping at them when they get close, is this just cause they are new and she's showing the pecking order or should i be worried? will the chicks gang up on her or hurt her? am i going to wake up to a dead duck or chicken?

If it helps any the duck has been alone for months, she's not use to being around other birds other than the rare pigeon/wild dove

Bonus: This is daisy in her yard, before the chickens moved in
You could put in the Dog house and split the run in two down the middle........Duck pen and Chicken area......

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom