1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My duck(unknown/almost a year?) is snapping at my chickens(7weeks)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Foxeh, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Foxeh

Foxeh Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    South Australia
    We just put out chicks out with our grown duck(just 1 duck) and she has been snapping at them when they get close, is this just cause they are new and she's showing the pecking order or should i be worried? will the chicks gang up on her or hurt her? am i going to wake up to a dead duck or chicken?

If it helps any the duck has been alone for months, she's not use to being around other birds other than the rare pigeon/wild dove

Bonus: This is daisy in her yard, before the chickens moved in
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Oh Boy........Ducks can kill Chickens......I have Ducks and Chickens...They are all the same age.....My Ducks hate the Chickens...You need a Plan B...Separate them..........I have a Chicken Coop and Run and a Duck house and Run...

Cheers!

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    How old are the ducks and chickens? She'll probably just show her dominance, but like chickens really said, I'd have an extra pen. My ducks and chickens tend to stay apart,and on occasion do fight but there is usually any injury., you would wait and see how today goes, and if she isn't too rough, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    What type of duck is she?

5. chickens really

It appears to be a Muscovy.......

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I would put roost up, for them to get away from her. But,if she is really determined to get them, she will fly up, and Muscovies are pretty good roost ducks.

7. Foxeh

Foxeh Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    South Australia

Ages are in the title, we don't really have the means to build another house, i could move the old dog house in there but it cant be shut so cats could get into it and attack

8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Oh yeah,sorry didn't notice.

Well, seeing as the chicks are so young, the duck could very much so kill them. I would put them back inside their brooder for the sake of their life's, or just set the brooder in the duck coop an diet them get aquatinted.

9. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Eventually once the chicks are older ($,5,6 months),and can fend for themselves, then I would release them with the duck. As of right now, their too vulnerable and small and could easily get crushed by the duck.

10. chickens really

You could put in the Dog house and split the run in two down the middle........Duck pen and Chicken area......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by