MY DUCK WAS ATTACKED - NECK ISSUE.

I am so sorry your duck was injured. What breed and are you sure you saw all the bite wounds. When there is an injury it's best to clip the feathers away from the bite wounds so you can clean them real good and keep the feathers from getting into the wound when it's healing up.
Most likely when it first happened she was in shock. So that is when you place them in a quiset area preferably inside so you can keep a close watch on them. After a while as you have seen she started drinking and is now eating which is good. I don't know why she would be dragging her chest unless she is wounded worse than you have seen.
I know your new here but if there is any way you can upload a video of what she is doing?
You'll have to upload the video to youtube or Vimeo and copy and paste it here. Rest and TLC maybe some poultry vitamins to help give her a boost maybe all that is needed and hopefully she'll recover. Pictures of the wounds would be good too .
Hey i have a question regarding a baby duck. This duck jumped in water and got out and seemed like it drying itself. But then it started pecking in chest/neck area and sometimes the rest of the body but mostly the neck and the chest . I was wondering is it trying to clean itself or hurt itself. Also can you give me the basics of raising a duck. Like the food i should give, how big the enclosure, how often i should feed it, does it always have access to food, etc. I have been giving it peas, rice, water. Also what should be in its enclosure. I have grass and it always access to food.

What you are seeing is what's called preening after they swim or get wet they use their bills to dry their feathers and spread oil over them to make themselves waterproof. It can look like they are hurting themselves but they arent.
I hope you are also giving your duckling feed that is made for poultry? because what your feeding isn't giving your duckling the amount of nutrients it needs to be healthy, If you can get feed specifically for waterfowl that is even better. If you can't get feed for waterfowl then poultry feed is next best and then add some Nutritional yeast over the feed 1 tablespoon to each 1 cup of feed. Young ducklings until at least 5-6 weks old need feed and water 24/7 after 6 weeks they can go all night without eating.
Here is some really good info on how to care for ducklings and ducks.
Do you have other ducklings that will depend on the size of enclosure you will need.
:welcome
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/ducks.30/

What you are seeing is what's called preening after they swim or get wet they use their bills to dry their feathers and spread oil over them to make themselves waterproof. It can look like they are hurting themselves but they arent.
I hope you are also giving your duckling feed that is made for poultry? because what your feeding isn't giving your duckling the amount of nutrients it needs to be healthy, If you can get feed specifically for waterfowl that is even better. If you can't get feed for waterfowl then poultry feed is next best and then add some Nutritional yeast over the feed 1 tablespoon to each 1 cup of feed. Young ducklings until at least 5-6 weks old need feed and water 24/7 after 6 weeks they can go all night without eating.
Here is some really good info on how to care for ducklings and ducks.
Do you have other ducklings that will depend on the size of enclosure you will need.
:welcome
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/ducks.30/
Currently I have one duck only. Not really planning to get another, I hope that is okay. Another question is what food should i feed it like was is water-feed or poultry feed. I apologize, but the link you sent me is quite hard to navigate. Like what else can i try to feed it from a grocery store. Like bird seeds? Can you also send a link on amzon or something to buy it.

Bird seed isn’t going to give your duckling all the vitamins and nutrients it needs. Can you buy chick feed or waterfowl feed? Are you in the USA telling us what country can help us help you better. They also do better if they have a friend of the same species.

Bird seed isn’t going to give your duckling all the vitamins and nutrients it needs. Can you buy chick feed or waterfowl feed? Are you in the USA telling us what country can help us help you better. They also do better if they have a friend of the same species.
I live in canada and there isn't much places near that provide stuff like that. In the meantime what should i feed it until me and you find something for it. I am thinking of implementing fruits and vegetables.

I live in canada and there isn't much places near that provide stuff like that. In the meantime what should i feed it until me and you find something for it. I am thinking of implementing fruits and vegetables.
Hi. I’m also in Canada
I go to ufa , peavy Mart or coop feed lot. And purchase chicken feed non medicated
I feed starter from 0-3 weeks tops then grower
If it’s a female once she gets close to laying age I add in layer mixed in with grower and purchase crushed oyster shells
The supplier I usually get that from had been out so I go to pet land and get it under the small bird section
It’s the same idea just much smaller pieces
I order nutritional yeast off amazon and put 1tbs to 1 cup of feed till they are 10-12 weeks then just sprinkle in their dish daily
Hope this helps
You also won’t be able to get chick grit in Canada without a hefty price so I get regular grit from ufa but can’t use it till min of 2 weeks
I don’t give my birds anything but regular feed till then

Hi. I’m also in Canada
I go to ufa , peavy Mart or coop feed lot. And purchase chicken feed non medicated
I feed starter from 0-3 weeks tops then grower
If it’s a female once she gets close to laying age I add in layer mixed in with grower and purchase crushed oyster shells
The supplier I usually get that from had been out so I go to pet land and get it under the small bird section
It’s the same idea just much smaller pieces
I order nutritional yeast off amazon and put 1tbs to 1 cup of feed till they are 10-12 weeks then just sprinkle in their dish daily
Hope this helps
You also won’t be able to get chick grit in Canada without a hefty price so I get regular grit from ufa but can’t use it till min of 2 weeks
I don’t give my birds anything but regular feed till then
Hey I hope you are doing well and thank you for the response.
I have a few questions:

1) Is No name budgie mix good enough with peas, rice, soaked bread? If this is sufficient may you send a link for a specific product on amazon for something sufficient, as i dont know whats good and what isn't.

2) When should it be asleep by. Because i would assume like when it turns dark, and i put it in its cage and it just sits there chirping.

3) How often do you i play with it?

4) Is it normal for it to nibble on wings and its body or peck it self.

5) How often should i allow it to go into a small bucket to swim under supervision.

6) I am only planning to keep one duck. Is that okay?

7) May I ask more questions if i they come up?

Back
Top Bottom