MY DUCK WAS ATTACKED

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ash999, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Ash999

Ash999 Chirping

Nov 2, 2017
    hello it’s me again... i really need help my duck was attacked last night idk how because it got through all the stuff to not attack them but it ripped his feathers off and odom what to do ive comforted him and given him water and stuff, i just need help!!!

Attached Files:

Quacking Pigeon likes this.
  2. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Australia
    My Coop
    This is what I’ve found on a post from a few years ago

Ash999 likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Are there any holes in his trachea, esophagus, or crop? If he has holes in the esophagus or crop, water and food will leak out when he drinks.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

He must have been grabbed through your fencing seems he would be dead if something had started eating him there. Almost looks like what ever it was possible Coon grabbed and ripped out his feathers while your duck probably tried to get away. Sound right? doesn't look like a biting wound? unless I am not able to see it.

Wash real well with soap and water or saline wash warm water salt mixed together. Rinse the wound real well. Your going to have to keep him clean and make sure none of the other birds mess with him. Does he seem shocky? You'll want to keep him warm Is he eating drinking at all if not then most likely in shock

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

You need to clean the wound(s) with betadine or chlorhexidine. You also need to put him in a very clean crate.

6. Miss Lydia

Thanks K could think what that was you rec. the chlorhexidine. Better than using soap and water saline?

Raenh and Quacking Pigeon like this.
  7. Ash999

Ash999 Chirping

Nov 2, 2017
    Thank you so much!

8. Ash999

Ash999 Chirping

Nov 2, 2017
    I didn’t see anything went i went into the cage

9. Ash999

Ash999 Chirping

Nov 2, 2017
    he’s drinking but i’m gonna wash him off and isolate him from my other birds until he looks back to his normal self but you can tell he’s scared as can be.

10. Miss Lydia

After getting your drake and cleaning him up place him in a warm area inside a dog crate so he can get over shock and keep his wounds clean.

Then you need to address your set up. Hardware cloth is the only thing that will keep this from happening again Coons can reach in and not only do what we're seeing with your drake but literally ripped off the head trying to drag them through the fence.

I hope your drake heals bless his heart he looks painful :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: