my duckling has a bloody head that is running constantly

what should i do to stop the constant blood running from the duckling head?

• what to feed it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • what to do

• what to stop the head from bleeding

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
X 10!!
And Vaseline will work, but a wound cream would be better. Use the Vaseline sparingly, as it can be very hard to get through if you need to put something else on the wound. You don't need a special cream for poultry or even for pets. Any over-the-counter cream you would use on yourself would be fine.
How is your baby behaving at the moment? Is it active, peeping, alert at all?
thank you and it was squeezing somewhat but now it is sleeping. and when it’s asleep it makes a lot of noise and starts to jump. i think it might be still traumatized. and one of the eye is still close probably because the blood dried up in it and i will do the things u said

one thing to remember once a wound is cleaned, and antibiotic applied without pain killer or use some hibiclens or betadine, if you don't have stypix you can use corn starch or flour to stop the bleeding which usually everyone has one or the other or even both.

You need to keep the baby warmed, Do you have a brooder you could set up?
Hydrated and you can feed i believe chick starter that is not medicated.

Tagging some experts here to help out in case I missed anything.
@Miss Lydia
@WVduckchick
@casportpony
THANK YOU SO MUCH! i will do the corn starch and whenever i try to feed it something or even water he/she doesn’t eat or drink it

I think you’ve gotten good advice. Keep it clean of poo and bedding, and remember that it sometimes looks worse than it is.
thank you very much. and yes i am very hurt. i don’t know what to do with it but i will try the bath and cornstarch. and it has also been abandoned by the mom right after i saved it from the raccoon the mother didn’t want it because it was very injured and could barely walk

THANK YOU SO MUCH! i will do the corn starch and whenever i try to feed it something or even water he/she doesn’t eat or drink it
one thing I do with the chicks isf they aren't used to it is soften it up, or even give em some yogurt or a really shopped up scrambled egg if they aren't wanting to eat the softened feed, is to put very small amount just inside their beaks

thank you very much. and yes i am very hurt. i don’t know what to do with it but i will try the bath and cornstarch. and it has also been abandoned by the mom right after i saved it from the raccoon the mother didn’t want it because it was very injured and could barely walk
you can give it a stuffed toy to snuggle with, add a mirror so it doesn't feel alone are a few ideas, or see if anyone has some other recently hatched ducklings near you.

Don't be too hard on Mama. A bit of TLC for her would be a good idea, as she's been pretty traumatized, too! Some electrolytes in her water would be a good idea. When you get the chance, be sure to check her over thoroughly for hidden injuries, like punctures from bite wounds. If you find any, be sure to treat them, too and be sure to keep her clean and warm for a few days, too.
You have good instincts! You've got this!

Momma might come back if she didn't die from wounds trying to save her babies, unless she was a wild duck, that had to be very traumatizing to loose her hatch like that, if she's your duck one of the builder guys might help you with ideas how to make it secure for your ducks. from experience they stay fairly close to the nest but safe enough distance that they can't be attacked again to hide and try to recoup.

@aart
@azygous

Back
Top Bottom