my duckling has a bloody head that is running constantly

what should i do to stop the constant blood running from the duckling head?

• what to feed it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • what to do

• what to stop the head from bleeding

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
she isn’t eating and she walks around by her old nest pecking the eggs and quacks. she is very heartbroken more than i am
Okay - Operation "Save The Mama" begins!

First, your duck could use some TLC. Look her over thoroughly. Ruffle her feathers and check her skin. She's been through a lot and may have some minor injuries you missed the first time around. That's easy to do. Think of how sore you are a day or two after you take a fall. Treat any injuries you may find, hopefully none!

Next, her system needs a boost. Electrolytes are a good idea. Even if she doesn't need them, they won't do her any harm. A poultry multi-vitamin may help, as well.

If she's not drinking, syringe some water along the side of her beak until she swallows it on her own. Often, that's all you have t do to get her started on her own, but you may have to keep at it for a bit.

Then fix her a tasty mash - her regular food, some extra protein & such, maybe a scrambled egg in there. Is there a special treat she likes? Maybe peas or a soft canned veggie? My chickens love canned green beans ... go figure! Hand feed her, or stand by and watch so you know she's had something.

If she doesn't eat, try making a slurry out of her regular food and syringing it along the side of her beak until she lets it dribble in. Like with the liquids, that may be all you need do to get her jump-started, again, but you may have to do that for a few feedings just to keep her strength up.

Once you have Mama taken care of, remove the old nest - eggs, bedding and all. Clean it out and replace it with fresh bedding.

And above all else, once you have your DUCK taken care of, see what you can do to prevent a repeat of what you've both been through. Predators are inevitable ... and if that one doesn't return, another will. It is, unfortunately, the main hazard of poultry-keeping. The best thing you can do for your ducks is to give them a safe place to live - and that's an on-going process. I'm convinced that the only truly predator-proof place to keep our poultry is in the freezer ... and since we don't put all of them in there to "keep them safe," our coops, pens and poultry-keeping systems keep evolving. It's the nature of the beast ... but it's worth it in the end!

Back
Top Bottom