My Duckling is weak and cannot walk!:( help?

Mama_duckster2021

In the Brooder
May 2, 2021
Hello I am a new duck mama... and I got everything ready for my duckling also things that was provided by their duck owner at the farm (Food, bedding) my duckling was doing fine for the past 4 days and today he was doing fine walking chirping a lot as usual then I come back to see he is weak he cannot walk and his head tilts all the way back as if it can’t hold it on its own. I have tried saline water as I researched online ( Sugar,warm water) and I mashed his food up so he can take it in more.. he has been pooping black which to my understanding online, that Is good. Which makes me happy because he is eating and drinking with being hand fed by me with a saringe with his sugar water little by little and mashed up duckling food I was provided when I picked him and his brother up. He is some what finally TRYING to move but he cannot as he’s too weak to even try... I have him separated from his brother in a box with heat and bedding and warm cloth he chirps here and there I hesr him finally than before, but what can I do to help him? I am doing everything I can to help my Duckling but if anyone who’s more experienced in this could please send me some information/feed back it would be the most appreciated thing ever. He is not even 2 weeks old yet .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 30
They had gave me a starter grower for him but I am unsure of the name brand. I did buy a day ago a duckling mannapro grower starter food that I am waiting on for delivery. Do you have any suggestions ?

I'm really sorry you're both having to go through this :( I don't have much knowledge on saline water, it may be similar to the electrolyte mix that I use for my chicks. I had a gosling last year that had straddle leg and was unable to stand, resulting in him over exerting himself trying to get/stay upright. Is he able to walk? Spraddle leg is definitely fixable. I was able to resolve this problem and nurse this little gosling back to full health. He grew up to be a very loud and healthy bird. I hope we can get you some answers!

I'm really sorry you're both having to go through this :( I don't have much knowledge on saline water, it may be similar to the electrolyte mix that I use for my chicks. I had a gosling last year that had straddle leg and was unable to stand, resulting in him over exerting himself trying to get/stay upright. Is he able to walk? Spraddle leg is definitely fixable. I was able to resolve this problem and nurse this little gosling back to full health. He grew up to be a very loud and healthy bird. I hope we can get you some answers!
Yes to my understanding the sugar water does work as a electrolyte mix. I tried getting him to stand softly as I could but he has no energy for it . He try’s but he is using up all his energy to try to move as before that he becomes weak once more and the chirping stops ... :(

Do you have a feed store nearby? If so, I would pick up some Sav a Chick electrolyte and probiotic packs and add those to his water. I don’t think there’s much that you can do other than continuing to make sure he drinks water every 20 minutes or so and that he’s warm and comfy. Also, separating him from his brother may be unnecessary—it’s probably less stressful for both of them to be together, unless the other duckling is bullying him.

Do you have a feed store nearby? If so, I would pick up some Sav a Chick electrolyte and probiotic packs and add those to his water. I don’t think there’s much that you can do other than continuing to make sure he drinks water every 20 minutes or so and that he’s warm and comfy. Also, separating him from his brother may be unnecessary—it’s probably less stressful for both of them to be together, unless the other duckling is bullying him.
I separate them because his brother loves to jump on him to cuddle and little one has no energy ... unfortunately my little guy passed away .. thanks a bunch for your feed back I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom