My duckling recently got a curve in his feet and it maybe the reason why he's getting off balance again

Princess19

Hatching
Jan 2, 2021
Hello! Does anyone know how to cure this? I think he got this when he fell, I am worried that he might get weaker because of that curve on his feet.

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_094120.jpg
    IMG_20210121_094120.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210121_094117.jpg
    IMG_20210121_094117.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210121_093833.jpg
    IMG_20210121_093833.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210121_093813.jpg
    IMG_20210121_093813.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 2
If you gently bend the joints, do you hear any clicking or anything out of ordinary? Is there any noticeable swelling, warmness, or discoloration in the feet?

Although it could be an injury, bent hocks, and pigeon-toed feet can oftentimes indicate a niacin deficiency. I would start her on B vitamin supplementation; you can use either a 1/4 of a B complex, or give her a few drops of a Cattle B complex, orally. In addition, keep her on soft padded grounds that reduce pressure off her legs.

If you gently bend the joints, do you hear any clicking or anything out of ordinary? Is there any noticeable swelling, warmness, or discoloration in the feet?

Although it could be an injury, bent hocks, and pigeon-toed feet can oftentimes indicate a niacin deficiency. I would start her on B vitamin supplementation; you can use either a 1/4 of a B complex, or give her a few drops of a Cattle B complex, orally. In addition, keep her on soft padded grounds that reduce pressure off her legs.
Hello, I tried bending the joints but I hear no sound. However, there's a lump and a swelling slightly on his curved feet.
I'll note your advice, thanks!

Hello, I tried bending the joints but I hear no sound. However, there's a lump and a swelling slightly on his curved feet.
I'll note your advice, thanks!

Hello, I would try that for maybe two weeks (?) or more. Do the water therapy, soft grounds and nutritional therapy, and if you do see some improvement continue, but if you don't see improvement a vet might be best if there is an actual bend in the joint due to the injury.

A lack of calcium, vitamin D3, phosphorus can cause musculoskeletal deformities as well. Most birds can get that from their feed, but if the feed is old, or stale it can reduce the number of vitamins/minerals they're able to get. If you're diluting the feed with scratch, or oats I would stop that as well.

Hello, I would try that for maybe two weeks (?) or more. Do the water therapy, soft grounds and nutritional therapy, and if you do see some improvement continue, but if you don't see improvement a vet might be best if there is an actual bend in the joint due to the injury.

A lack of calcium, vitamin D3, phosphorus can cause musculoskeletal deformities as well. Most birds can get that from their feed, but if the feed is old, or stale it can reduce the number of vitamins/minerals they're able to get. If you're diluting the feed with scratch, or oats I would stop that as well.
I've noticed, it's on both of his feet and two toes on both are bent.

Back
Top Bottom