My ducks can't walk?

lovemyducks

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
Winkler,MB
I bought two five day old ducklings February 5th. Two weeks ago one lost its ability to walk. He fell on his back and cried until I picked him back up. 24 hours later the same happened to the other duck. A friend had told me to give them electrolytes and peas. I did this and after five days they were completely recovered. Well here I am again. I keep them in my house next to a vent and an extra heater on the other side of their kennel. I let them out and they were running around, nothing out of the ordinary. I then put them in a tub and let them swim. They loved it. After about five minutes their personalities dropped. They swim on a daily basis so this was strange. I took them out and sure enough, they can not Walk!! I don't know what I am doing wrong. If anyone has time to read this and give suggestions ,all help is welcomed.
[/IMG]

I bought two five day old ducklings February 5th. Two weeks ago one lost its ability to walk. He fell on his back and cried until I picked him back up. 24 hours later the same happened to the other duck. A friend had told me to give them electrolytes and peas. I did this and after five days they were completely recovered. Well here I am again. I keep them in my house next to a vent and an extra heater on the other side of their kennel. I let them out and they were running around, nothing out of the ordinary. I then put them in a tub and let them swim. They loved it. After about five minutes their personalities dropped. They swim on a daily basis so this was strange. I took them out and sure enough, they can not Walk!! I don't know what I am doing wrong. If anyone has time to read this and give suggestions ,all help is welcomed.
[/URL]
Sorry to hear this but very common in ducklings it seems, get to the drug store and buy plain niacin 100-150 mg. not flush free or time released crush the taletb or open the capsule and mix with 1 gallon of water then put into their waterer, they need to have this daily for at least 12 weeks. Chick feed doesn't have the amount of niacin ducklings need for strong legs. Some need it more so than others. usually once they are on this treatment they come around pretty quick, please update and
welcome-byc.gif
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Are you allowing them to swim in warm water?

If this is happening only after swimming I would be concerned about chilling as swimming is typically therapeutic.

Ducklings don't need to swim at this age and it should only be allowed with caution. I agree that niacin should be added, regardless.

Most likely it is a Niacin issue, just like Miss Lydia & jdywntr said.

They are about 6 weeks old, correct? There shouldn't be any issue with them bathing in your home as they are likely almost fully feathered already.

Do you know what the temp is inside their kennel? At 6 weeks old they do not need to be quite so warm.

Let us know!

big_smile.png

HI I had the same thing happen last year with my little ducklings. I agree with the others here, but I also went and got "flock raiser" for them. They ate it and seemed to get better quite fast. I now buy them Waterfowl feed from "montessuri" (not sure on the spelling) They love it . As you put the food right in the water. Hope your ducklings get better soon.!

Back
Top Bottom