My ducks don't like me anymore?

king tail

Show Jumping Dreamer
6 Years
Oct 6, 2014
Godric's Hollow
I have two ducks that I hatched and raised. They're almost three months old. When they were little they hated it when I left and always wanted to be in my lap. They would always follow me and stay near me. About a month or so ago they completely changed. I went out there one morning and they didn't want me to touch them. They would run away when I got near them. I was hoping they would go back to liking me, but they didn't. Is there any way I can get them to like me again? I miss having them sit in my lap lol

Unfortunately I have raised dozens upon dozens of ducks and they grow up all the same. They are very independent and skittish when they reach puberty. They no longer rely on you and prefer to keep to themselves, it is natural for most.

Spend lots of time with them, give them a handful of mealworms a few times today. My ducks are snuggly and I don't think that is ever going to change. There are certain hormonal periods where they don't like to be touched but they always revert back to normal after a few weeks.

Is this more for certain breeds of ducks? I thought the heavier breeds were supposed to stay more friendly. We have Indian Runners. It doesn't bother me that they want to run around. It makes me smile and laugh. They still eat out of my hands. Try meal worms, or defrosted baby peas.

Mine quit wanting me to touch them after my drake was taken by a predator in the middle of the night. I used to come and catch them up to put them in their pen at night so I kinda assumed that they connected his loss to my being the one that takes them away at night. It was around the time that their puberty had pretty much finished too. Maybe they link some kind of unpleasant memory to your being near them?

Back
Top Bottom