My Duck's (Hen) Keel bone/ Chest bone exposed with large hole .....Help!

175Rivahgil

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2020
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Pekin, 1.5 years, maybe 6-7 lbs by feel, but will check tomorrow.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She's eating and drinking ok, bright, responsive, & alert. BUT THERE IS HUGE HOLE ABOUT 4-5 INCHES starting from the top of her keel or chest bone down. And I haven't seen her lay any eggs for almost a month, possibly due to explanation below.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Its been 3 days, I spoke to a vet online and she said to use manuka honey and that it should take care of it, I think that's crazy! Can manuka honey build granulation tissue and bind back to keel bone? The hole is too big for stitches and the skin or subcutaneous tissue is detached from the keel bone.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no, I only have one other duck which is a drake. I may need to get more female ducks however *heavy sigh*

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
other than the 4 inch hole, no.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
3 weeks ago developed feather loss on back of the neck, then 2 days after got attacked by a raccoon, I thought she was a gonner. She was quiet for almost a week and had a limp. Weather was also horrible (very cold and wet climate) during that time also. Had little to no appetite, weight loss, green to light green diarrhea. Gave antibiotics and rooster booster W/ probiotics and chick starter, epson baths with oregano rosemary and basil, and finally she started to come to and started walking on her own but with still a slight limp. I also noticed she had fluid around the same area and thought nothing of it since I was giving her baths. Its My first time owning a female duck so I thought it was normal and she was improving. Until 2 days ago My boyfriend notices her at the door and there's a pool of bright red blood, no trail of blood as if it came from anywhere else but the one spot by my front door. That's when we noticed the huge hole.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Back on regular diet. Layer feed, water with nutridrench

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Bath, Cut back feathers, cleaned the wound, debride necrotic tissue, applied manuka honey, bandaged and covered wound.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Self treatment

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See attached photo

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
wooden coop w/ Pine Shavings .... open to opinions if I should change bedding. I was using hay but stopped for now due to cold/ wet weather I know they can get sick if it gets moldy.

She actually seems happier since this has happened I'm guessing this is what was causing her to limp before because she's walking fine now, although it was improving anyway, but who knows. Please LMK what I can do about this hole in her abdomen. Can I still give her baths? can she still swim with something like this if and when it does heal? Are there any other medications that can speed up the granulation/ healing process. Also she hasn't laid any eggs for a while. Is she not in season for laying eggs or is it possible she went egg bound and can no longer lay eggs?

I do apologize for such a long post and greatly appreciate any help or advice in advance.

Attachments

• jane-.JPG
    jane-.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 95
We had a similar thing happen, but worse. We ended up taking our duck to the vet and he got surgery. I’m not sure what brand it was, but in another occasion we used some silver spray.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Pekin, 1.5 years, maybe 6-7 lbs by feel, but will check tomorrow.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She's eating and drinking ok, bright, responsive, & alert. BUT THERE IS HUGE HOLE ABOUT 4-5 INCHES starting from the top of her keel or chest bone down. And I haven't seen her lay any eggs for almost a month, possibly due to explanation below.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Its been 3 days, I spoke to a vet online and she said to use manuka honey and that it should take care of it, I think that's crazy! Can manuka honey build granulation tissue and bind back to keel bone? The hole is too big for stitches and the skin or subcutaneous tissue is detached from the keel bone.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no, I only have one other duck which is a drake. I may need to get more female ducks however *heavy sigh*

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
other than the 4 inch hole, no.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
3 weeks ago developed feather loss on back of the neck, then 2 days after got attacked by a raccoon, I thought she was a gonner. She was quiet for almost a week and had a limp. Weather was also horrible (very cold and wet climate) during that time also. Had little to no appetite, weight loss, green to light green diarrhea. Gave antibiotics and rooster booster W/ probiotics and chick starter, epson baths with oregano rosemary and basil, and finally she started to come to and started walking on her own but with still a slight limp. I also noticed she had fluid around the same area and thought nothing of it since I was giving her baths. Its My first time owning a female duck so I thought it was normal and she was improving. Until 2 days ago My boyfriend notices her at the door and there's a pool of bright red blood, no trail of blood as if it came from anywhere else but the one spot by my front door. That's when we noticed the huge hole.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Back on regular diet. Layer feed, water with nutridrench

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Bath, Cut back feathers, cleaned the wound, debride necrotic tissue, applied manuka honey, bandaged and covered wound.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Self treatment

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See attached photo

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
wooden coop w/ Pine Shavings .... open to opinions if I should change bedding. I was using hay but stopped for now due to cold/ wet weather I know they can get sick if it gets moldy.

She actually seems happier since this has happened I'm guessing this is what was causing her to limp before because she's walking fine now, although it was improving anyway, but who knows. Please LMK what I can do about this hole in her abdomen. Can I still give her baths? can she still swim with something like this if and when it does heal? Are there any other medications that can speed up the granulation/ healing process. Also she hasn't laid any eggs for a while. Is she not in season for laying eggs or is it possible she went egg bound and can no longer lay eggs?

I do apologize for such a long post and greatly appreciate any help or advice in advance.

——————-
Update 7/9/20

So after 3 long weeks of bandage changing Jane finally developed enough granulation tissue as the skin started to adhere and heal around the exposed keel area. An attempt to close the wound was completely inevitable but she did great walking and got around fine. However the possibility of having that exposed area getting infected overtime was likely in the future, which in two months time of being rather fine it finally caught up with her and unfortunately she passed away. Sadly I knew at some point it would eventually happen but to the best of my ability I did everything I could to give her a happy life for her and her drake. Thank you everyone for your help and support.

——————-
Update 7/9/20

So after 3 long weeks of bandage changing Jane finally developed enough granulation tissue as the skin started to adhere and heal around the exposed keel area. An attempt to close the wound was completely inevitable but she did great walking and got around fine. However the possibility of having that exposed area getting infected overtime was likely in the future, which in two months time of being rather fine it finally caught up with her and unfortunately she passed away. Sadly I knew at some point it would eventually happen but to the best of my ability I did everything I could to give her a happy life for her and her drake. Thank you everyone for your help and support.

Sorry about your duck, but, thank you for taking the time to update this thread, It'll come in handy for people with the same problem in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom