My ducks imprinted on eachother

ducks4lifey

Hatching
Mar 18, 2016
I have two mallard ducklings and we got them online and they absolutely are terrified of me and my dad but love eachother and can't stand a minute without being together I'll put them in the bath one at a time and they freak out me and my dad think they imprinted on eachother ! Can that actually happen ??

Their buddies.It's likely you got a drake.My ducks imprinted on me up until hey grew up.This happens when he has someone,but when they have no one but you,they act like a little baby their whole lives,if raised right.

Yes they imprinted on each other. But in a different way. They know they are not each others mother, they understand they are ducks, siblings, and have bonded together. I had gotten 11 ducks online. I kept 10 of them together, and separated one that I felt I wanted to be my buddy. I never have let that one duck see the other ducklings. And at first, yes, it peeped loud, all day, but the very next day, the Lil ducky then was peeping loudly if she couldn't hear my voice, then the day after that, she would go crazy if she couldn't see me. This is a house duck. I mean diapers, a little clear plastic carrying case, (like a mini terrarium) so when I go places, she can come too, she sleeps on my chest when I watch TV etc. Now the other 10 duckies, are like yours, they are bonded to each other. They peep loudly when I pick them up, and scatter when I go to them to feed them. Where as my imprinted one will follow me everywhere! And gets very upset if she isn't with me. I take her outside she freaks out peeping loudly (if I hide from her) posture very upeight and startled, frantically looking around calling out to me. Then I pop out of my hiding spot, and she sees that I am right there, and she goes right back to a very soft chirpy peep, her posture is not upright and looking about. As soon as she seesme, she goes back to milling about looking for bugs and stuff to Eaton theg

I agree! I had another flock years ago i did the same with. They imprinted on their siblings and as when they became adults, they still were very sweet. Just make sure you interact with them often. Dont be deterred because they are buddies, its good for them. I dont know your situation on going to work/school etc, but if they dont imprint on their siblings, they are like infant babies, YOU have to replace their mother and siblings. Its very demanding. They will still grow up to be awesome and like you, as long as you handle them often. As babies they are quite skittish, and calm down as they age. Depending on the breed etc. If you go to thegoosesmother online, she explains the imprinting stage regarding ducks and geese the best way it could be described. Like my flock that i kept as a group, would mill about together, but have no problem with me going up to them, feeding them or taking them to their housing area. The singly imprinted duck is just a step above and needs constant companionship by me. If you cant provide 24/7 attention, its good they bonded to its sibling or hatching mate.

Back
Top Bottom