My ducks won’t go into a enclosure at night

I bet you are and eventually it’s going to turn cold. When my Muscovy were not wanting to go in I fixed it so they really had no choice the way their property is set up I can close off section so it’s smaller spaces and that way they haven’ t any choice. Made it easier to herd them inside. Don’t feed them at all during the day and only in the evening when you want them inside the enclosure so you have them inside. Might have to get some help at first if they are splitting up. Get one group inside the coop and close it up until you get the other in then let them out in the enclosure to eat. All you can do is try and hopefully it will work.

Great to hear she is doing some better I’m sure she’s most likely sore and in pain.

I bet you are and eventually it’s going to turn cold. When my Muscovy were not wanting to go in I fixed it so they really had no choice the way their property is set up I can close off section so it’s smaller spaces and that way they haven’ t any choice. Made it easier to herd them inside. Don’t feed them at all during the day and only in the evening when you want them inside the enclosure so you have them inside. Might have to get some help at first if they are splitting up. Get one group inside the coop and close it up until you get the other in then let them out in the enclosure to eat. All you can do is try and hopefully it will work.

Great to hear she is doing some better I’m sure she’s most likely sore and in pain.
yeah that’s a good idea! our space is hard because of the tall grass they can hide in :( but i’m gonna at least keep trying, eventually they’ll all go in

yes she definitely is hurting but i just caught her swimming with her babies in the stream so i hope she can recover fully !

Attachments

• C85C8EC2-0D86-4402-8248-26D3C884F2DA.jpeg
    C85C8EC2-0D86-4402-8248-26D3C884F2DA.jpeg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 7
Kept mine in a stock tank (6’ diameter) until they got feathers, then I stuck them in the Waddle in for about a week. When I let them out after a week I gave them a small enclosure outside and would lure them with food to their water outside. At night I heard them back in, that lasted for about a week or two. After couple of weeks I increased their range, after a bit they moved onto free ranging. Wasn’t till within 3 weeks to a month of work, they free range now, come when I whistle to them and put their selves away at night.
Helps I have geese that are a bit smarter to heard the ducks too and took to the training well.
This was about a month ago…

Kept mine in a stock tank (6’ diameter) until they got feathers, then I stuck them in the Waddle in for about a week. When I let them out after a week I gave them a small enclosure outside and would lure them with food to their water outside. At night I heard them back in, that lasted for about a week or two. After couple of weeks I increased their range, after a bit they moved onto free ranging. Wasn’t till within 3 weeks to a month of work, they free range now, come when I whistle to them and put their selves away at night.
Helps I have geese that are a bit smarter to heard the ducks too and took to the training well.
This was about a month ago…
When did you feed them last :lau

did you try peas ? I thaw out a bag of frozen peas and it is like candy to ducks they go crazy for them . i use peas to get my ducks in if theres a severe storm coming and its not bedtime yet . if its bedtime they just go in.
i’ll definitely try that! i don’t give it to them often i did when the 3 were babies but then they left !
i’ll get a bag of pea’s tomorrow and try that, thank u!

just thought i’d update you and let you know that i did get the ducks into their enclosure! it’s not the original enclosure i had for them, i divided my goat pen (it’s very big and they didn’t use the one side anyways) and they like that a lot better! i didn’t even have to chase them in :) the one thing i’m worried about is locking them in all together….they’re all siblings and i’ve never had them attack eachother but i’ve had them be sort of snippy to the babies, and eachother. never actually harming the other though, although they’ve never been made to all be in one space together…. they sleep together usually but that’s always outside, not in. any advice or opinions?

Back
Top Bottom