My ducks won’t go into a enclosure at night

chickenlady2004

Songster
Aug 16, 2023
Hi

i got three ducks about a year ago at a very young age. they had a enclosure at the back of the house and were pretty good to go into it at night (some nights were a struggle) they flew away during the spring/late winter and returned during the summer. i had already taken their old enclosure down as i couldn’t find them anymore and assumed they had just moved on !
they came back with 10 babies, and have slept on the property ever since. i have automatic lights set up around them as i didn’t have their old enclosure anymore and was unsure of how long they would stay. but now i’m certain they definitely don’t want to leave. a couple nights ago though we had a mink attack them (all alive one very injured) i felt horrible about it, so i got them enclosure for night or for when i’m not home. last night i tried putting them in it and they totally freaked out. i think they are still traumatized from the mink, and i worry that they’re time in the wild with no enclosure made them not want to go in at night. not sure what to do as they definitely don’t want to be in a enclosure and they are now a little scared of me because i tried chasing them in yesterday :( any tips or advice? as much as i understand they pretty much chose to be free range themselves, i can’t help but still feel some sort of empathy for them and would like for them to be safe at night.

Looks like they have written their own rules and might fly away again come next winter. They are out of your control after they flew the coop once, all I can suggest trying is a treat leading into the enclosure. Let them go on their own pace if they will.

Pictures of the enclosure?
i got it online and im not home at the moment but this is what it roughly looks like where i got it. it’s dog wire with quarter inch hardware cloth all around it. i put they’re pool in there but they choose to sleep closer to the stream we have (which is where the mink come from)

Attachments

• 4B885024-3F83-4DF3-953A-700463364431.png
    4B885024-3F83-4DF3-953A-700463364431.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
They are going to need to be locked up at night inside their enclosure minks can get thru 1 inch openings. Feed them only in the run and only in the evening start by putting feed or treats inside a can with a lid and begin by shaking the can and either whistling or calling them and once they are inside give them their feed and treats. Close the gate so they can’t leave. From there you can herd them inside. Usually it doesn’t take long to train them if you stay consistent.

Looks like they have written their own rules and might fly away again come next winter. They are out of your control after they flew the coop once, all I can suggest trying is a treat leading into the enclosure. Let them go on their own pace if they will.
I agree.
They already chose to leave and I don't think you can force them to be caged animals anymore.

They are going to need to be locked up at night inside their enclosure minks can get thru 1 inch openings. Feed them only in the run and only in the evening start by putting feed or treats inside a can with a lid and begin by shaking the can and either whistling or calling them and once they are inside give them their feed and treats. Close the gate so they can’t leave. From there you can herd them inside. Usually it doesn’t take long to train them if you stay consistent.
This could work too.
Force them to stay in the enclosure.

hopefully that works i tried getting them in with feed the other day but they could tell what i was doing a went running. i’ve been sleeping with them so i hope i don’t have to anymore soon. the problem i have is getting all of them in at once, as they sort of separate into groups.

My Muscovy didn’t want to go inside at night when they were young but I kept at it until they finally got it. Now they all go in on their own.
yes i was thinking if i can get them all in to keep them in there for a couple days so they can get used to it in there. it’s just because they are almost two (the three ducks) im not sure if i can train them anymore, i hope so tho! i’m so tired of that tent already 😂

Back
Top Bottom