My ducks won’t go into enclosure

chickenlady2004

Songster
Aug 16, 2023
Hi

i got three ducks about a year ago at a very young age. they had a enclosure at the back of the house and were pretty good to go into it at night (some nights were a struggle) they flew away during the spring/late winter and returned during the summer. i had already taken their old enclosure down as i couldn’t find them anymore and assumed they had just moved on !
they came back with 10 babies, and have slept on the property ever since. i have automatic lights set up around them as i didn’t have their old enclosure anymore and was unsure of how long they would stay. but now i’m certain they definitely don’t want to leave. a couple nights ago though we had a mink attack them (all alive one very injured) i felt horrible about it, so i got them enclosure for night or for when i’m not home. last night i tried putting them in it and they totally freaked out. i think they are still traumatized from the mink, and i worry that they’re time in the wild with no enclosure made them not want to go in at night. not sure what to do as they definitely don’t want to be in a enclosure and they are no a little scared of me because i tried chasing them in yesterday :( any tips or advice? as much as i understand they pretty much chose to be free range themselves, i can’t help but still feel some sort of empathy for them and would like for them to be safe at night.

Back
Top Bottom