My Easter Egger is injured? (not sure what to do)

LilbitChicken

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
OKAY.....going through the checklist first. Please help, if you can.
hmm.png

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Easter Egger, pullet, about 5months old
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
I went into her coop...a week ago...and she was waddling? Like side to side, wings are out a tad (looks like a vulture's posture), and her "tummy" feathers are poofy looking.....??????
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have NO IDEA, fine the night before, not the next morning.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Eating, Drinking, comes waddling over when I go in to check on her.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
She has been seperated into another coop....so she won;t get picked on.
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to help her, but I don't know what the issue is.
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
(can't figure out how to attach a pic......)
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
"normal" Arizona ground (dirt mostly) and a little hay in the nesting boxes....even though they just throw it out....and nothing is normally left.

OKAY......SO if someone could give me an opinion, OR MAYBE this has happened with one of your chickens????? I would appreciate your thoughts.....
She is responsive, to me, still eats and drinks normal....but can't fly up to her box.....so she lays in the corner......She waddles around like a vulture....and her appearance hasn't improved or gotten worse over the past week.........I am confused.
I thought she might have twisted a muscle or something.....
She SHOULD have been laying eggs...SOON.....but I guess that isn't the issue either, i read, have gone through checklists....and I am still stumped.
hmm.png

Yes. She feels normal........she still acts the same....and just wants back in with the rest of her family.
sad.png

She just looks.....odd....and "uncomfortable".
I would love to let her back in the big coop......
I just can't do that.....in case it is a problem, or they pick on her.
sad.png

Can you put another chicken in with her so she has a buddy & is less stressed?

If she feels & eats & poos normally, with no sign of injury, all I can think is it might be internal. Couldn't hurt to give her some poultry vitamins, maybe some sunflower seeds & some plain active yoghurt.

Back
Top Bottom