My EE has one swollen pad, no sign of scab and but now her foot feels warm, UPDATE with pics

ElCerritoPlace

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
She is some what lethargic, caught her laying in the nest box. She is usually very neurotic, and I can't approach her, so now I can pick her up. Not normal behavior. Her right foot pad is swollen with no sign of scab or puncture anywhere on either leg/foot. No scale mites observed. I noticed she does have poop stuck to her feathers by her vent. This too is not normal for her. She normally has a very fluffy clean white bottom.

Just looking for ideas on what problem this could be. A vet is not an option, and rather then have a bird suffer we would cull her. I don't want to have this run thru the flock if its transmissible.

Thanks

Can you post a picture of the foot? Insert a finger (with a rubber glove on and lubricated) into her vent and check for an egg. How long since she was wormed? Is she eating or having diarrhea? If any new birds have been added or she is new, coccidiosis might be a problem. Corid or amprollium is the treatment for 5 days.

No new birds, the same flock since last spring. Don't have a picture. Maybe tomorrow I can get one. When I went out later all birds were on the roost in their normal spots. The last 2 nights I ve noticed my EE has been out of place when I bring water in the morning. She hasn't been laying since last November, due to molt. But just the last few days I've noticed her comb turning red, but by no means bright red.

Heres some pics of the EEs bad foot

Heres the good foot

And her bottom

Heres some pics of my splash orp who's production has decreased (she's the only one laying all winter) But she's near 9 months old, although I haven't noticed her molting. So I checked her feet and one looks kinda big

I can't see a dark spot, but there is definitely swelling there. You might bring her inside and soak her feet in some hot epsom salts water twice a day for 10 minutes, then dry very well before putting back out in the coop. If you start to see a dark spot, you may be able to do the surgery. Put some probiotics in her water, and think about worming her with fenbendazole or SafeGuard horse paste or goat wormer.

So it's not mites? This may seem odd but where do I find Epsom salts? Do you think the orpington needs treatment too or just the EE.

I don't see anything that looks like leg mites in the pictures. Mycoplasma synoviae or MS can cause swelling in the feet and legs. It is a form of CRD but affects the bones. I' m not saying that is what you have, but you might want to look at some info on it. Epsom salts is sold at WalMart and most drug stores in the laxative aisle.

Back
Top Bottom