My EE is a big tease!-- UPDATED TODAY 10/21/10!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HHandbasket, Oct 17, 2010.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I'm sure all of you can relate with where I'm coming from. [​IMG]

As of today, Big Bertha is 30 weeks old. She's a gorgeous black and gold EE with beautiful dark slate/green legs. For 10 days now, she has been singing the egg song off-and-on but has been really consistent with it the last 3 days or so. She's been squatting for about 8 days off and on, but again more consistently in the last 3 days or so. I thought her time had finally come and that she would finally start laying--but so far, no eggs, no nothing.

Today, she was singing the egg song REALLY loud & I thought she was in the henhouse; but when she came fluttering out, she came out of the side of the garage instead of the henhouse. I felt that surely she had laid her first egg in the garage, as the sound she made when she came out was very much the same as "the announcement" we hear from the leghorn after she has done her daily duty in the nest (out of 6 pullets, right now the leghorn is the only one paying her rent). However, DH and I thoroughly checked the garage, and there's just no egg there.

I know that birds with a lot of ameraucana/araucana in them such as my EE often lay very late, so I have not been concerned that she hasn't started laying yet! I just am getting frustrated with her teasing me like this!

One of the things I like about Easter eggers is that until they start laying, you really don't know what color eggs they're gonna give you. She just needs to stop teasing me and start layin' some eggs!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Follow her closely, they can be really 'stealth" when finding a spot to lay their eggs.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She's gotta find the perfect place for her first egg!

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    You and me both girl!! I had been hoping to get a call "IT'S BLUE/GREEN!!!!" but nope, nada. She is really putting you through the course isn't she?? LoL. My Munk hasn't even squatted so I am thinking she will be a 40 weeker by the time she lays lol. Here's hoping for a beautiful colored egg! Watch, she will lay it today, of course LOL

5. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    40 weeks? 40 WEEKS?!?!? I don't think I'm going to be able to wait that long, I'm already antsy for my first egg,a nd my oldest are 14 weeks
    [​IMG]

6. HHandbasket

Still nuttin'. Goofy bird. We have cut off her access to the garage.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Smart move.

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Smart move.

Mahorni and HHandBasket, you two sound like the James Bond movies! [​IMG]

Crossing Fingers for you! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. HHandbasket

She is already out there this morning singing her little head off so loud, I can hear her in the house. She is normally a very quiet bird and vocalizes a lot of sounds, but they sound more like a person who grumbles under their breath. She's just not a loud chicken... until NOW. OMG, everybody in a 2-mile radius knows I have chickens now!

10. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    30 weeks..... our Easter Eggers are around .....17 weeks old [​IMG] They're cute but its depressing to think about how long were going to have to wait for that first, potentially blue/green, egg. Good luck.....lets hope its a nice blue egg hmm [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by