My Egg Yolks break to easy

Sheila Adkins

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 19, 2008
Hello , when i crack my eggs for frying, some are pale and break if you evenlook at them.. Is this a deficency of some kind? Sweety loves his yolks runny and i can not fix them that way as they break.. Any knowledge on this subject would be appreciated.

How old are your chickens? Sometimes the yolks break easier when the chicken laying them is older....I think....

This is a good question and one that I am going to do some more studying on before I give you a definite answer, but I'm guessing it's a protein deficiency.

Will read up some on it and get back with you before making that a definite answer.
wink.png

Do you feed oyster shell , Layer, Treats? My girls get a layer feed , scratch grains, oyster shell and lots of scraps/treats , and my yolks are hard to bust ... I have to stab them to get them open... Sounds like it may be a defecincy...

Okay! Here is what I have found.

~To much corn when it's hot outside could cause this. If you are feeding scratch right now, stop and resume giving scratch when the weather cools off.

~Age could be a possibility, but if they are new layers of course this wouldn't be your case.
wink.png

~Starting to molt could also be a possibility here. Have you noticed if they might be starting a molt or mini-molt?

This is all I can find right now. You might also want to switch feeds if you aren't feeding a high quality feed. All of my chickens here get Purina Layena and I've always had good luck with their eggs. It could still very well be a deficiency of some sort and switching up feeds might help balance that back out.

I hope that one of those answers solves your problem!
smile.png

If yolks are pale, get your girls more variety. Grass, left-over veggies, any of that stuff is good. I have found that the older (i.e. less fresh) an egg is, the tougher the yolk is. It is much easier to separate the older grocery store egg yolks than fresh. The eggs dehydrate as they sit.

Most of my gals are young layers, outside of three. I feed layer crumbles or pellets. I do feed them clover and let them out of the pen to eat in the yard.. bugs, grass, ect.. I give them some table scraps, new to this , this year and have not figured out all of the things you can feed them from the table.. I will get some other protein sources and see what happens. Thanks for your replys.

Back
Top Bottom