My eggs are MIA

I've noticed that our egg laying has been cut down due to the winter months coming along I think. There wasn't enough sunlight shining into the cop during the day so when I started allowing them to free range in the backyard, I am back up to 4 eggs a day (others aren't old enough to lay yet). During the summer we had some critters digger holes under our coop and coming in to steal the eggs and killed some of our chickens (Racoon we think) so you could have some critters as well, but I would lean more towards the weather and low sunlight. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference but when my girls run out of water or dont get enough during the day, they won't lay until I've refilled their water. Might be a coincidence lol

Last edited:
I've noticed that our egg laying has been cut down due to the winter months coming along I think. There wasn't enough sunlight shining into the cop during the day so when I started allowing them to free range in the backyard, I am back up to 4 eggs a day (others aren't old enough to lay yet). During the summer we had some critters digger holes under our coop and coming in to steal the eggs and killed some of our chickens (Racoon we think) so you could have some critters as well, but I would lean more towards the weather and low sunlight. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference but when my girls run out of water or dont get enough during the day, they won't lay until I've refilled their water. Might be a coincidence lol

Sounds like an opossum or skunk. Raccoons will kill for fun. If a raccoon got in your coop, you likely wouldn't have any chickens left. (or not very many) Skunks and opossums go for the eggs, but both will also kill a chicken.

ours turned out to be magpies stealing eggs, so that is another possability as they can't get after what they usually do during the winter time

Found the culprit! Or rather what's left of 'em.

Last edited:
It was well sealed but when I'd leave it open in the a.m. for them to go in and lay it was sneaking in too.

Back
Top Bottom