My experience dealing with MG (Mycoplasma gallispectum)

I have a question. My chicks, now six weeks old sneeze quite often. I see that sneezing is a sign of this disease. Does anyone think my chicks might have been exposed to this disease unbeknownst to me? How can one protect their flock from it? If you buy chicks from a hatchery that does not guarantee against the disease, what can you do? It would be terrible to be keeping hens that may have been exposed to it and not know it. Any suggestions out there on this issue?

read the infomation on MG on my post of MG as I posted the symptoms and medications you can use
Lincomycin is a good one
I used it in giving shots after I had contacted it in my flock from taking my birds to a pouoltry show and s DUccle had Mg and was snoting and coughing and I was too stupid to take and kill my bird before taking it home to all my birds

we lost all 200 of our breeders and I paid the price of doctoring and disposing of my flock
so I do know what I am talking about

generally it is more than just sneezing it will be the cough and snoting head and shaking head with snot going every where

so read my other post on MG
as this one is so long

*GEL* :

I didn't know about it either. No wonder I'm always reading people on here being VERY careful when bringing in started pullets or hens into their flock.

What exactly are the symptoms and would all the chickens be displaying them at the same time? Or only if they are new to it - as it seems it can be spread very easily and lived with very easily by the chicken.......am I understanding this correctly? That they could have it and show no symptoms?

A carrier will have NO symptoms at all. They would have had the disease at some point and recover from it, but they are carriers and can spread it. Even if you quarantine these birds - they look and act perfectly healthy, so when their quarantine time is up you release them in your flock and poof your healthy birds are sick.

The symptoms I observed was a swollen face and watery, bubbly eyes on one hen. Lately I've heard some very soft sneezing and that's it. If I allowed it to progress, I imagine I'd eventually see more sneezing, coughing, rattles, rales and discharge from the nose.

I would avoid buying adult birds from now on, but if you really wanted to ask them if any of their birds have ever had a cold before, even a mild one. If they say yes, walk away, even if they treated it.​

Southernbelle, I am so sorry you have to go through this.
I would at least consider only culling the ones that are showing some symptoms.... You said
A carrier will have NO symptoms at all. They would have had the disease at some point and recover from it, but they are carriers and can spread it.

But that does mean that for a bird to be a carrier, they would have had to be sick with MG at some point.
I think if you culled the sick ones, and moved the others to a clean area, you might be able to save some of your flock...
hugs.gif

The problem with MG is many birds could have been sick
but shown no signs. Once the pathogen is in your flock it's
all over. One carrier will make everything repeat.

Culling, decontaminating, and waiting a short time is the
best option other than living with an infected flock. MG attacks
weak or moulting birds. Mine are healthy now but will get sick
again this winter.

Quote:
But that does mean that for a bird to be a carrier, they would have had to be sick with MG at some point.
I think if you culled the sick ones, and moved the others to a clean area, you might be able to save some of your flock...
hugs.gif

If there was a way that I knew without a doubt was safe, I'd do it, but I just don't think I can take the risk. Thanks for posting, Grace, I've been thinking about you and praying for you.

Hi, I am so sorry, as everyone is. If I were you (dont know anything about this disease but if it is that contagious) I would go onto craigslist under farm and garden I believe and post a desperate plee for someone or a couple or few people that could come in and do it for you, either free (as generous humans would do) or at a very low cost. I am sure there are farmers out there that could help. Show that you are desperately trying to do what is right but some are pets and you just cant do it yourself. Lots and Lots of people visit craigslist!

Quote:
So you are living with a contaminated flock? Did you lose any birds or did they just get sick? I am really struggling to understand this disease. Is it a plague or "just a cold" or does it sorta depend?

Back
Top Bottom