My experience dealing with MG (Mycoplasma gallispectum)

I believe it is technically "just a cold" in how it affects the sick bird. But it can be passed through a hen to her eggs, and once a bird has it, it will always be a carrier.
Also, if a bird has MG or any "cold" it is likely to be weakened and come down with something else.

basically chickens do not get colds
they get infectious respiratory diseases
CRD is chronic respiratory disease
and MG is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum

both are infectios respiratory disease

which can be treated and the birds will produce and live some with out any symptoms at all

so if your flock is clean and healthy and show no signs if a infectious respiratory disease you are safe

trust me when they o come down with it severly they will die off in a heart beat

as we never had any that had any signs of respiratory disease and they didn't fair to good even despite the medication
and worry and suffering the disapointment of losing all your expensive favorite stock as all of ours was purebred and many decades old in breeding

so I commend the lady who has to dispose of her birds

Chickens and wild life are "contaminated" you can only have a "clean flock" if you keep them inside, do not bring any feed or shavings bags near, don't go to the grocery store etc etc. MG is as common as us getting a split end.
If you read the article I compiled, perhaps you would find it easier to handle. Maine's wildlife in the 1980's tested positive for MG.
I choose to keep my own flock, understanding that this is an issue, but a friend can come in with something on her/his shoes.
If you take your birds to a show, fair, you may as well not bring that bird back into your flock, have a "show house" for those that are no longer pure, they will be contaminated beyond belief of things that scare me.
MG is not a fun thing to have in your flock, but you folks show me how many of your birds test negative vs shows no signs. Rodents spread these conditions into our lives by feeding off the grain, at our homes or at the grain mills.
Good luck and sorry you are culling for my opinion nothing. Keep in mind when I began this hunt for MG, MS, ILT etc, it freaked me out too.

Quote:
I can't answer for PC, but it sounds like he closed his flock and is living with the disease. Adult chickens rarely die from MG. Young chicks will often die or grow up weak - they used the term "unthrifty." I was given the option of closing my flock and keeping my birds, but I enjoy hatching and working on breeding projects and I want to be able to sell hatching eggs and started birds.

My problem with MG is once you have it; it's forever - the survivors will be carriers and it can pass through to the egg, which is truly scary for me. That's what makes it serious. Treating will make the symptoms disappear, but won't make it go away.

So sorry
hit.gif

I am so very sorry to hear about your situation.
hugs.gif
I know it was not an easy decision but I commend you for making it and support you 100%. I know I could never cull my flock, but mine is a simple backyard flock for my enjoyment only. I do not sell or hatch the eggs and I never take them anywhere nor would I bring in started birds so we are in very different situations. Thank you for sharing this with all of us and for all the posts educating us on this disease. I am a newbie and appreciate everything I can learn.

My heart is with you,
Thank you for being a voice even when it hurts , becuase of youre strength many people will learn and many birds will be safe.
to bad they dont have travleing butchers liek they use to that would come and kill and bucher animals for farmers. there are of course practical reasons this would be unsound but I can not even begin to imagine the thought of haveing to end all those lives. God give you strength and peace luv

hugs.gif
I am so sorry you are going through this! I can't even imagine how hard it was for you to make this decision. Prayers are with you. Have the little ones already been outside? If they haven't, do you still have to cull them?

Back
Top Bottom