my experience with ordering chicks through purely poultry

I would suggest trying ideal. They'll be st run, but I had good luck when I got 6 of the little buggers in May. Might have lost one, but not from shipping. Lots if my chicks decided to jump the brooder and freeze because they were hiding
I was thinking about Ideal, but then I got to thinking that I would like to try my hands at getting SOP birds instead of hatchery quality. and that way I don't run the risk of having the mail people take too long or damage the box again. the place I ordered from sent them from Texas, and can only imagine them coming from Ideal taking even longer since they are even further away.

ok that's good to hear, I just heard that they were a rarer bird and that they can have fertility problems due to the males being hen feathered. I know they definitely wouldn't lay as much as my Easter Eggers currently do.
I think it's actually the comb that makes lower fertility. Homozygous rose combs are supposed to have that problem, hence mixing a single comb in.

Ideal is from Texas, and they were sent all the way to Montana in my experience

yea, that is an option, just would need to find someone willing to buy males for 25-50 a piece, since the breeding pairs are (depending on what quality I want to buy from her) anywhere between $50-100, and that adds up. I might see if I can just get a breeding pair for now, or even go to one of the state fairs and see if anyone there is going to be selling any at the poultry shows.
You're taking a gamble when you buy chicks or hatching eggs and have them shipped to you no matter who the hatchery is. I had to wait an extra month on the chicks I ordered but none of them got sick or died and all were healthy when they arrived. What most people don't realize is most hatcheries fill their orders by placing orders from other hatcheries soon as they get their orders."Most" hatcheries don't have the room or employees to keep or sell so many different breeds and varieties of chickens.Some of their orders are "drop shipments" meaning they take your order for chickens you want and buy them from someone else who signs an agreement they won't disclose where the chicks came from.

Had I been able to buy a pair "locally" I wouldn't have bought Dominique chicks from Purely Poultry or any other hatchery The application can be downloaded on their website.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-05 at 21-34-48 Sell on Purely Poultry Purely Poultry.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-05 at 21-34-48 Sell on Purely Poultry Purely Poultry.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 12
You're taking a gamble when you buy chicks or hatching eggs and have them shipped to you no matter who the hatchery is. I had to wait an extra month on the chicks I ordered but none of them got sick or died and all were healthy when they arrived. What most people don't realize is most hatcheries fill their orders by placing orders from other hatcheries soon as they get their orders."Most" hatcheries don't have the room or employees to keep or sell so many different breeds and varieties of chickens.Some of their orders are "drop shipments" meaning they take your order for chickens you want and buy them from someone else who signs an agreement they won't disclose where the chicks came from.
yea that's the thing purely poultry does, they are a drop shipper for chicks, that's why I want to find a local source for buying the chicks or adults. I have made multiple posts in different places looking for some, but I got one response from someone and the person they were thinking of retired. I did find an email for some here in Washington but again they wont have any breeding pairs until fall, and even then, I would be stuck with a bunch of males.

I think it's actually the comb that makes lower fertility. Homozygous rose combs are supposed to have that problem, hence mixing a single comb in.

Ideal is from Texas, and they were sent all the way to Montana in my experience
huh that's good to know, either way, they are definitely not as prolific as a lot of other chicken breeds. but they are definitely beautiful birds. and I thought I saw on a map that Ideal was further east from the hatchery that sent me my Sebrights.

I got an email from Purely Poultry late one evening around 11 pm if my memory serves me right that stated my chicks had been shipped and to expect them to arrive within 2 -3 days. Got a call 8 hrs later from post master to pick them up . I never received any notification from USPS Informed Delivery (even though I am registered) NO tracking number from USPS or Purely Poultry either. My email went unanswered all day when I asked if they were shipped earlier that day. USPS doesn't offer overnight delivery where I live.Those chicks were likely in the mail at least 24-48 hrs before I was notified.

I got an email from Purely Poultry late one evening around 11 pm if my memory serves me right that stated my chicks had been shipped and to expect them to arrive within 2 -3 days. Got a call 8 hrs later from post master to pick them up . I never received any notification from USPS Informed Delivery (even though I am registered) NO tracking number from USPS or Purely Poultry either. My email went unanswered all day when I asked if they were shipped earlier that day. USPS doesn't offer overnight delivery where I live.Those chicks were likely in the mail at least 24-48 hrs before I was notified.
They emailed me right away, but I had to actually email them back for a tracking number. for me though they were in the mail a full 72 hours. They also didn't add any grow gel to the box that I could see. And I never got any extra chicks that so many other people have reported getting with their orders. All in all I ended up with 2 chicks of what I actually ordered. Hopefully them surviving all this means they will pass on some hardy genes to their offspring.

Back
Top Bottom