My Family And I Want To Start A Flock!!!

Quote:
I take it your in the military? I'm central NY so when you get home you let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

Don't have JG's or Sussex, but have Orps. Orps are very friendly birds. I breed Delaware too. Also friendly but not so much as Delawares. If my Frizzles were laying I could hatch you out some of them. They are very friendly and kids love them.

Well you be safe and let me know when you get home and thanks,

Rancher

The Jersey Giants (hatchery stock) I've raised are really friendly and nice chickens. They ARE slow to mature but they come running to me like a bunch of little kids when I show up at the henhouse.

They're more friendly than RIR's or Leghorns IMO.

Freindly, good laying breeds:

Red Sex Link
Black Sex Link
Barred Rock
Rhode Island Red
Jersey Giant
Black Australope
Brahama's
Salmon Faverole
Easter Eggers (green eggs)

And many more. Also if you want some more good pet chickens, you might want to get a silkie or a cochin, but keep in mind they don't lay as well as some of the other breeeds, and do go broody.

We're in Buffalo, NY and have young children as well (two boys, ages 3 and 4). We have 6 white plymouth rocks and they are FANTASTIC! They are friendly, gently, social and great layers! Our girls follow us around the yard, jump up and visit us when we're sitting outside, and like to be held - they're more pet-like than we ever thought possible. They're also a nice fluffy bird and are handling the cold weather pretty well (we did insulate our coop and keep a lightbulb for warmth when the coop temp dips below 32).

I would highly recommend this breed to anyone with little ones :)

I agree with whoever it was who mentioned bantams. My little sister (ok, so she's 20, but a real city girl) came to visit and fell in love with my Sebright hen. She just happily sits on your shoulder and goes for rides. She's really easy to carry; just scoop her up with one hand... I don't think a jersey giant would fit!

Just a thought for you. IF you did decide not to get a rooster, you could get a bantie hen that would probably be your kids' best friend.

First off, Welcome, you are in the right place to get ANY info you need on chickens...
2nd, thank you for serving...from a family of Air Force and Marine vets, myself one....I know the sacrifices...it takes a special person to
serve...and to support those who do, so kudos to your wife and daughter for their support as well...

Now, chickens...I will post a few shots of mine, words are great, but pics are better!

68634_dsc_0108.jpg

one of my Easter Eggers, will lay greenish eggs in the spring.

68634_dsc_0096-6.jpg

another Easter Egger.

68634_dsc_0230.jpg

a Red Sex Link, (Gold Comet) can also go by several other names, Cinnamon Queen is a popular name. A great layer...

68634_dsc_0238.jpg

my black australorp hens...great winter bird, nice eggs.

68634_1.jpg

A shot of my California White hen (she has been my best layer, one egg every single day since she reached Point of Lay)
and one of my Barred Rocks, the most curious of all my chickens...and a great layer also.

68634_100_0236.jpg

most of my flock....

good luck with all you choose...starting out with 6? Good luck....you will get addicted like the rest of us! If you want a rooster, you will need to
get more hens....or just for fun also!

68634_dsc_0287.jpg

Here is one of my mix roosters...

68634_dsc_0039.jpg

and my Alpha roo...

**another poster mentioned that it is not really the breed sometimes that makes a good chicken...my black Easter Egger cannot
stand to be touched, but the one I posted after her, will come to me and 'purr' and follow me till I hold her...so its all on how
you handle them as chicks. And those 2 were handled the same, its an individual thing.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service~!!!!! I have had the best luck with the kid friendly chickens with silkies and we had a super sweet white leghorn but she was an exception most leghorns are kinda flighty.
Jaycie and Gage with Exechequer Leghorn
12596_kids_wfloppy_comb_tame_hen.jpg

Jaycie with her beloved barred rock
12596_jaycie_caught_wild_barred_rock_chic.jpg

Hello from Oklahoma, and I thank you for your service! I can't add anything of value for your question, I'm new myself, but just wanted to say 'hi' and 'thank you' and it sounds like a great coming-home project. I'll be learning here with you, this is a great place!

You should have more hens if you want a rooster. I definitely suggest barred rock
smile.png

Best egg layer is a production red/ISA hen.

If you want some colour and have prolific layers, I really like the silver spangled hamburg.

images

Buff Orpingtons are not great layers, and they often go broody, so keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and for the great info! I would like to get bantams, but can I keep them with regular chickens? The reason I want a Jersey Giant rooster is because I thought he would be able to scare of a smaller predator easier than a smaller rooster. Bantams do seem nice, but I have heard that they are flighty. I am very new to the chicken thing, but from what I have heard the bigger breeds are more docile and friendlier than smaller breeds? Like I said thanks for all of the advice, looking forward to doing this with my wife and kids when I get home!

Back
Top Bottom