My Farm Life

Pics

Thunder344

Crowing
Sep 12, 2020
Stafford, Virginia
Seriously, I cannot think of any good thread names. So, yep, its gonna be called My Farm Life.
I had a different thread about my farm life, but i hated that thread title, so I made this new one. Hopefully I don't forget and actually post in this thread. I will be (hopefully) posting about different chickens, if any chickens get hurt, my questions, and a bunch of other things. So here it goes. :D
I have 47 chickens. We butchered our meat birds a couple days ago, so BoOp, we are now down to 47. Need to change my signature :). Okay, gonna make a second post about a chicken. Give me a couple minutes :).
(I suck at these sort of threads, but please, I do appreciate feedback, or anything else like that. Or you can follow the thread. Its your decision :) )

Yesterday, I put one of our good laying hens, Lilyanna, back in with the flock. She laid this egg that weighed 4 ounces, and probably has another egg inside of it. :) Her vent prolapsed, and finally after two days, it stayed in and she was able to go back in with the others.
Liliana(2).jpg
Here is Miss Lilyanna. I will keep checking on her throughout the day to make sure she is totally fine. She was extremely mad that I checked her this morning.-_-

I am happy today to see that both of our broodies have come out of the nesting boxes!
I have two broody hens. One is a light brahma named Tuft (her tail was wacky a bit ago, so thats where the name came from) and the other is a faverolles named Night. Miss Night had a bit of a problem a while ago when we had two guineas. We got the guineas (names are Optmus Prime and Krampus) as guards for our flock. I went on a short trip and when i came back i found Miss Night hiding behind one of the unused feed tubes with a puncture wound on her back. You could see the bone. The guineas were soon gotten rid of, and she healed up nicely.
20210517_132311.jpg

(I know, i know, this picture sucks. :) )
Here is Miss Night in her nesting box. I will get a better photo and post it here in a bit. :) OH! I almost forgot. I will also get a photo of our other broody hen, Tuft. :)
I am sad that these two broodies couldn't raise chicks because i do not have any roosters. :/

I plan on buying some chicks from McMurray. Hopefully the broodies will take them in. Anybody got any suggestions ? I hoping that I can do it at night and be able to just sneak them under the broodies. I also plan on getting 15, so both broodies would have to work together. I am getting Whiting True Greens, Cukoo Marans, and Silver Laced Wyandottes.
1625935689923.png
Heres a Whiting. :D

I plan on buying some chicks from McMurray. Hopefully the broodies will take them in. Anybody got any suggestions ? I hoping that I can do it at night and be able to just sneak them under the broodies. I also plan on getting 15, so both broodies would have to work together. I am getting Whiting True Greens, Cukoo Marans, and Silver Laced Wyandottes. View attachment 2754351 Heres a Whiting. :D
I am not getting Whiting, Cukoos, and Wyandottes. The day after this post, when I went to buy them the Whitings were out of stock. :heAnd now I cant think of the breeds i got. I will update when they ship. :D :celebrate :yesss:

Okay. They are shipped and should be here either tomorrow or the days after. I got some Cukoo Marans, Sussex, and Sapphire Gems. Hopefully these broodies will agree with their new nesting boxes set up in the run. So far only one has settled down on eggs.

Back
Top Bottom