My Farm Life

20210710_130053.jpg

This is Calvin, one of my 8 Faverolles cockerels. I have too many!! I put Calvin in POW, I really don't know why but I just wanted to. Calvin is a big sweetheart. And he is looking right at the camera!

View attachment 2761805
This is Calvin, one of my 8 Faverolles cockerels. I have too many!! I put Calvin in POW, I really don't know why but I just wanted to. Calvin is a big sweetheart. And he is looking right at the camera!
How do you keep so many roosters with no issues? I’m hoping my newly arriving sexed chicks are indeed all pullets but ill keep one roo if he’s a good boy. As a novice I’m not going to try for 2! I have a neighbor that said they would take one if we get 2. Keeping fingers crossed for accuracy! (& also if it’s a roo really hoping it’s the Americana so I can hatch out some possible olive eggers with any broody ladies next year!)

How do you keep so many roosters with no issues? I’m hoping my newly arriving sexed chicks are indeed all pullets but ill keep one roo if he’s a good boy. As a novice I’m not going to try for 2! I have a neighbor that said they would take one if we get 2. Keeping fingers crossed for accuracy! (& also if it’s a roo really hoping it’s the Americana so I can hatch out some possible olive eggers with any broody ladies next year!)
I have 39 hens, so that helps with them not over mating. All of them are still cockerels. (under a year) They will be mature in 5 weeks! Sometimes it depends on the breed. I only have Faverolles cockerels, and they are known to be a docile breed. I also have handled them since they were chicks, so they all know me very well. Prince (one of the cockerels) will sit on my shoulder. Faverolles are usually at the bottom of the pecking order because that is how they are, so the cockerels do get bullied a bit by some of the older hens. I am expecting they to gain ranks when they get older.

Back
Top Bottom