My fav chick died and i need help

amyrains

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
camden
1) What type of bird , age and weight. RIR JG Wells buffs anywhere from 17 weeks 2 two years
2) What is the behavior, exactly. about 2 weeks ago i started hearing a "wet sound" when they breath but only in the mornings. eating and drinking all stayed the same, but now i watch them sneeze and shake there heads some but no other odd behavior the two that have died went to bed with no symptoms acting okm then were dead the next morning. i held the one that died this morning trying to "help" and it would stretch its neck and almost like turn it backwords... she was my fav so needless to say this day has started off really really bad....and only gonna get worse when my boys find out
sad.png

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 weeks
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. none
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. we have arounf 50 birds and they drink an avg. of 5 gallons of water a day. they free range during the day and have layer pellets in there coop. i have started keeping them in the run yesterday to keep a closer eye on them while i try to figure this out
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. the poop was a yellow frothy runny color so i treated them with wizine 1 mo ago and then again 2 weeks after that...some of the poop is normal but some of it is still yuck!
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? i have just been watching them to see if they would get better on there oun but we lost on yesterday and another today so now im thinking that it is something that needs to be addressed. im just not sure what to do t this point.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? there is no vet around here that treats chicks
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use we use wood shavings along with DE the coops is cleaned weekly the floor is sand that is also cleaned out every 2 weeks and new clean sand is put in.. they dont spend very much time in the coop just to lay and sleep at night i also spray with seven the walls and floor and the nest boxes keeping the birds out of it untill it fries.

Sounds like you've got a respiratory problem. I would get some antibiotics into their drinking water right away, and also some vitamins/electrolites in the water too. You could use duramayacin, which you can buy at the farm store. It's in a packet and it costs about $2.00. Or you could go with a stronger antibiotic like Sulmet or Tylan, but they are more expensive. With 50 chickens, you'll need alot.

Good luck to you!

i just got back from the TS and got TYLAN 200mg/ml injection and ivermectin pour on...does anyone know the dosage info for both of these medications?

This is Dosage Info for Tylan 50, so you'll need to break it down or keep looking.

http://www.xtremegamebirds.com/Dosage Chart.html

I printed this off a while back and keep in my chicken kit at home.

Also from the following link I got this: The dosage is 1/4cc for bantam or 1/2 cc for standard, in the breast 3 day's in a row.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=119829

I use this dosage but don't do it in the breast. (too afraid I'll mess it up) I do mine under the skin on the back of the neck. A good tip I got off of here and use to hold them still is wrap them in a towel or piece of material with their feet sticking out the bottom so they can't wiggle around. Hold them in your lap with their head slightly tilted down a bit, this seems to calm them some. Take your time and make sure you don't hit a vain. Just a few minutes and you are done. First time I did this my hands were shaking, took longer to calm me than the bird!

Isn't the Ivermec Pour on a wormer? I would only do one med at a time to make sure you don't over tax their systems. Also, be sure to give yogurt and ACV when the meds are finished to help get their bellies right again.

Good Luck!
Mandy

Last edited:
thanks MANDY1296 i will also be printing that off. to top of everything bad thats happened today...me and my hubby were treating them...i was holding them he was injecting them...one jumped out of my hands and hit the ground and died right then...what are the chances of all this happening all in one day
hit.gif
... this is our first time to have chicks so we are new to all this but i never knew that chicks were so hard to keep healthy??????? i spend lots of time with them and my friend that NEVER does anything with them and they live in MESS are healther then ours...i dont get it at all
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom