My favorite hen is sick Please help!*poo pic* (sorry)

Meriruka, Ellen, Jill, Molly, Cath - So sorry to hear about your sick birds and just wanted to send well wishes to you all. I hope everyone gets better soon.
fl.gif

JJ

Sorry, Ellen, I was discomfuddled.
hu.gif

I was so distraught yesterday that even though DH was with me all day that I asked him how work was...
Hugs and kisses and warm wishes for all the sick birdies and I'll say a prayer that Miss MoneyPenny can help from beyond too along with Slifer and Tom and Beaker and Betty and Gomer and Snorkie and a flock of other dearly departed feather babies.
fl.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Here's what I found out at the vet.
Basically, her digestive track stopped working. Her gizzard was full (xray) and her white blood cell count was up. Her bacteria count was down(I think from the worming meds, I'm an idiot), and she's dehydrated.
She prescribed Baytril (for infection) and a motility drug, which I understand helps move things along.
Grand total so far $391. The vet called me with the bloodwork results the next day to tell me about the blood cell count and offered me the option to hospitalize her ($300/day) or outpatient ($100/day).
I asked if I could just try the meds she gave me for a few days and hung up the phone feeling like a monster because I can't remortgage the house to save her. Anyway, aside from the fight she puts up taking her meds, she's doing much better and eating ravenously, pooping a lot more and perking up. She's still weak & tires easily. We'll have to see if she does ok when the meds stop.
Here's a few tips if you have to give a chicken oral meds: 1) Minimum 2 people for the job. Wrap the chicken in a blanket up to her neck like a papoose. 2) One holds her and the back of her head while the other opens her beak. 3) Wait until her tongue drops down then squeeze the meds in slowly. 4) Get used to her hating you for a while.

She'll be done with her meds on Monday, so we'll see what happens. Stay tuned......

Last edited:
I hope she continues to get better. Did the Vet have any idea why her digestive tract stop working? Don't feel bad about the vet costs--you are doing everything you can do.

She said sometimes the muscles stretch and loose their elasticity. Can't say I know what that means.
I just hope it doesn't happen to all my redstars!

fl.gif

you have a good vet and have done all you can...lets just pray she makes it through ....

At least you have a vet that looks at other things besides cats and dogs...
If I had taken Penny in and had her put under and Xrayed, it would've been over $350...that was even before getting her hip back in! They'd have to put her under for that too...blech...

Sometimes the crop can get stretched out, like when we get pregnant and have the baby and still have a wobbly gut...If it's going to be a problem you can buy a crop bra which will help hold it in place.

Princess and I are pulling for you, too! I know it's a lot of money but at least you have a diagnosis now and some medications. She sounds like she's feeling better if she's eating again!

I had to pay $27 yesterday to have Princess tube fed. It did make a difference! (Lots of poos this a.m.) I also discovered she will eat the baby parrot formula out of a bowl so I don't have to force feed her.

OH! And did you know baytril comes in pill form?! That's what Princess is on and its sooooo much easier to give. Too late now I guess but next time?

Come on Princess and Rosemary!!!!

Back
Top Bottom