My female duck won't stop........nesting our hands

Fenris Lupa

Songster
9 Years
Aug 14, 2014
South of Chicago
Ok so Floki is almost 2yrs old and she beautiful and healthy......

BUT....She's driving us a bit CRAZY.....Lol....

This goes on all day, and yes....all night.

She HAS to have one of our hands, sometimes both. She pulls our hands underneath her and then picks and pulls anything around her to wrap herself.

Now, yes it's cute, but it keeps us up all night. I kno a big part is every morning she lays her egg, she does it while laying on one or our hands. Weird, lol.....I kno, but that's our Floki.

So what I'm wondering is this behavior is so obsessive due to the time of year? Cuz we don't remember her being this bad last year.

Last edited:
This is perfectly normal behavior, you've got a duck of the apocalypse. They're well known for using corpses as nesting material, she is just a bit eager to use yours that's all. Have you tried supplying her with fresh corpses ? it may help.

wait, but on a serious note, maybe it's like putting a duckling under herself sort of instinct that has got a bit mixed up. Maybe you can wear towels or gloves on your hands and tickle her with them sort of thing so that she eventually may substitute the gloves that she thinks are your hands for nesting material.

for that second video your hand is just an egg to her at the start. she needs a nice nest, preferably out of old clothing and so on.

I know most birds benefit from a fake egg in the nest, maybe yours will need a mannequin's hand ?

for that second video your hand is just an egg to her at the start. she needs a nice nest, preferably out of old clothing and so on.

I know most birds benefit from a fake egg in the nest, maybe yours will need a mannequin's hand ?

Yeah we've done that last year when she was like this

We've tried giving her the eggs she lays or her toys, but she won't stop til she has a hand. Lol....and I mean she won't stop. It's cute, but when it goes on all night, we can't move.

Even if we build up a nest of clothes, if we take our hand out, thinking she may not notice or more mind, nope.... Runs right to us and pulls our hands back.

I kno it's normal behavior, but it just seems stronger this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom