My female pekin ducks are mating....

Guernsy

Songster
Jun 5, 2020
I have 2 Pekin and 2 black runners. As of now, I thought they were all female. They are super loud, almost too loud (my neighbors hate me). I always thought that male ducks would have a curled feather on their tail and have a different "quack". Anyway, the last two days, I noticed that one of the Pekin ducks (her head is a tiny bit bigger than the other duck's head) mounted the other duck in our little pond, tried to bite her, dip her head underwater, and definitely mate.
The ducks are 5 months old and have not laid eggs yet. They live together with the runners but share a coop run with the chickens. During the day they all free-range together.
Do I need to provide a nesting box for the ducks? I was under the impression they just drop their eggs somewhere. So far we have not seen eggs from either duck (Runner nor Pekin) or do they only lay eggs in the Spring?
At what age do ducks usually mate? Do they mate all season long? Could my ducks still be female and just in love with each other? If they do in fact mate, do I will my eggs be fertile (which I don't really want, I wasn't going into the duckling business)?
If I had in fact give away the mating duck, would the other duck be sad or would she still be happy with the other two black runners?
Sorry, lots of questions.

Female ducks will sometimes mate if there is no male around. It's not because they love each other though. It's to show dominance. And no, a female can not fertilize another females eggs. Physically impossible
Would that mean that they both lay eggs (unfertilized) eventually? Do they only lay eggs during the Springtime or if I provide them a box? I thought around 5 months they should start laying eggs (the Runners at least). Thanks

My male pekin took a while to get his curly feather. Also, that feather can be yanked out or fall out.
Definitely male & female breeding! Yes, fertile eggs. Ducks breed constantly year round! Their mating ritual is aggressive. Females lay eggs year round. My female laid eggs everywhere! Rarely, she would make a hidden nest and lay lots of eggs in it, but never sit on them to hatch. But mine were free ranged, not cooped.
Your females will do fine without a male companion. Too many males to females in a flock would create an overbreeding problem for the females..
Hope this helps.

I have 2 Pekin and 2 black runners. As of now, I thought they were all female. They are super loud, almost too loud (my neighbors hate me). I always thought that male ducks would have a curled feather on their tail and have a different "quack". Anyway, the last two days, I noticed that one of the Pekin ducks (her head is a tiny bit bigger than the other duck's head) mounted the other duck in our little pond, tried to bite her, dip her head underwater, and definitely mate.
The ducks are 5 months old and have not laid eggs yet. They live together with the runners but share a coop run with the chickens. During the day they all free-range together.
Do I need to provide a nesting box for the ducks? I was under the impression they just drop their eggs somewhere. So far we have not seen eggs from either duck (Runner nor Pekin) or do they only lay eggs in the Spring?
At what age do ducks usually mate? Do they mate all season long? Could my ducks still be female and just in love with each other? If they do in fact mate, do I will my eggs be fertile (which I don't really want, I wasn't going into the duckling business)?
If I had in fact give away the mating duck, would the other duck be sad or would she still be happy with the other two black runners?
Sorry, lots of questions.
Most anything that I do, I usually research it first. My wife will tell you that I over research things! We got 8 backyard chickens (pullets). 2 Production Red, 2 Rhode Island Red, 2 Americanas and 2 Black Austrolops (forgive my spelling). When they were about a week old, I went to get feed and came back with 2 ducks! I did this before I did my research! So, I did. Ducks, unless you know what you are doing, are nearly impossible to sex. When they get a bit older, the female has a definitive louder quack while a male almost whispers. I tell other people that he is telling her to shut her bill! So, without knowing, I got a male and a female, Jack and Diane. They're going through life the best they can. So they are all about 15 weeks old now. Last week, Jack started courtin' Diane. When they would get near water, he would bob his head up and down. The next week, she was receptive, and they mated in their little pond. Ducks take a bit different care than chickens, but they all play follow the leader around the backyard!

Back
Top Bottom