My first attempt to hatch eggs!

Cochincrzy

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Hi everyone!

My first shipment of eggs got here today. I ordered 6, all got here safe and sound. I candled them to see where their air pocket was at and one of the eggs was very cloudy/full. So i'm guessing I got an egg that was under a hen or sitting around for awhile. Should I just toss it or see what happens after 7 days when I do my next candling??

I also had a question about humidity...what's the best %? I have read so many different % it should be at. my incubator is sitting at 99.5 and my humidity is about 60% right now. I'd like to get that adjusted before I add my eggs tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance
fl.gif

Hi,
Take what I say with a rather large grain of salt as I am relatively new. It seems that the 'chicken' math averages out around 45-55% before lock-down, unless you attempt the dry hatch method, which is no water until day 18, depending on your ambient humidity where you would be incubating your eggs. Then you bump it up on day 18.
As far as leaving or tossing the 'cloudy' egg...maybe leave it and look at it again tomorrow before you put 'good' eggs in your bator?
See what others say and definitely take the 101 'course' for peops like us. There is so much information on this site that between 'class' and class 'mates' you should have a great shot at a successful hatch!
Best wishes...

HI,
Looking for anyones advice here!
I have eggs that will hatch in late August....in doing my math, I thought everyone would be feathered up enough in time for Winter..I live in NH....what do you think???
Thanks

I'd leave the egg in and candle them at 5 days and you should see growth of the embryos at that point :) I like humidity to be at 50% through the hatch time then up to 65% at lockdown :)

Back
Top Bottom