My first broody hatch a long!

Good luck!

Tip 1
Do mark the Silky eggs if they resemble on of your own hens. Take all new eggs out every day.

Tip 2
Add a layer of moisty sand under the bedding for a solid shaped spot and add DE or something else to prevent red mite coming in and multiply.
Thank you! I already have DE in there. As im worried about getting mites. But ill definitely make a solid shaped spot in there!

I have just left my girls in the nest box. if the others do bother her do you have something you can put around that nest (a play yard or make a "box" with wood and HWC so that she can come out and stretch and put food and water there but that others can't get in the nest box with her? Mine will let others in the box to lay but that is about it other than that they will peck at them. Glad you finally got your broody! Funny I was all excited for the last week or two that I finally had NO broodies only to have one go broody again a couple days ago. LOL
I do have a pen i could put around if the others bother her. But i dont think that will be needed. She is very protective. Yesterday she waited staring at one of the others for 10 minutes before scaring her out of the nest. She did get out for 30 minutes to eat, drink, and dust bathe. But immediately went back in.

Well you know that broodies come when you dont want any!
Are you planning on hatching eggs?

I do have a pen i could put around if the others bother her. But i dont think that will be needed. She is very protective. Yesterday she waited staring at one of the others for 10 minutes before scaring her out of the nest. She did get out for 30 minutes to eat, drink, and dust bathe. But immediately went back in.

Well you know that broodies come when you dont want any!
Are you planning on hatching eggs?
I have only needed a pen once and it wouldn't work where my broody was, but she was just too mellow so no babies for her.

I have had SOOOOO many broodies this year! at one point I had 4 at one time! LOL but adding them all up (some broody 2-3 times) I would guess I am at at least 12 total times broody so far for all my girls if not more since many times I had 2-3 at a time and would break one and another would start..... I have 15 girls that lay (17 total adults but 1 has never laid and 1 very rarely lays so I don't count them) and most of the summer I am getting 5-8 eggs a day which is pretty sad for this many girls but they won't stop being broody! LOL

I am DONE hatching for the year. I hatched in March, April, twice in May, (sort of 3 times since June hatched started May 31. LOL), June, July and Aug! YIKES!!!!!!!!! My youngest just hatched the end of last week and I have 12 of them, then have 4 that are about 3 weeks old in my coop brooder. Most of the other groups I only have the ones I am keeping besides my 9-10 week olds that I am still trying to figure out pullet or cockerel. and 2 roos I still need to find homes for. LOL

I have only needed a pen once and it wouldn't work where my broody was, but she was just too mellow so no babies for her.

I have had SOOOOO many broodies this year! at one point I had 4 at one time! LOL but adding them all up (some broody 2-3 times) I would guess I am at at least 12 total times broody so far for all my girls if not more since many times I had 2-3 at a time and would break one and another would start..... I have 15 girls that lay (17 total adults but 1 has never laid and 1 very rarely lays so I don't count them) and most of the summer I am getting 5-8 eggs a day which is pretty sad for this many girls but they won't stop being broody! LOL

I am DONE hatching for the year. I hatched in March, April, twice in May, (sort of 3 times since June hatched started May 31. LOL), June, July and Aug! YIKES!!!!!!!!! My youngest just hatched the end of last week and I have 12 of them, then have 4 that are about 3 weeks old in my coop brooder. Most of the other groups I only have the ones I am keeping besides my 9-10 week olds that I am still trying to figure out pullet or cockerel. and 2 roos I still need to find homes for. LOL
Thats a lot of hatches!
What do you use to mark the eggs? As i know i need to label the eggs but heard sharpie isnt good.

Ok so we went to get the eggs and ahe only had one....... i know this is a issue. A few of her silkie hens passed. So she just has 2 silkie hens and a bunch of roos. And then a polish plus a bunvh of other chickens. That were together she knows this egg is from her polish hen.
So now i have to find atleast 5 or 6 silkie eggs to hatch.
16915255045535258817445605396890.jpg

Ok so we went to get the eggs and ahe only had one....... i know this is a issue. A few of her silkie hens passed. So she just has 2 silkie hens and a bunch of roos. And then a polish plus a bunvh of other chickens. That were together she knows this egg is from her polish hen.
So now i have to find atleast 5 or 6 silkie eggs to hatch. View attachment 3603529
oh that stinks that she only had 1!!!!! GL on finding some more.

Thats a lot of hatches!
What do you use to mark the eggs? As i know i need to label the eggs but heard sharpie isnt good.
It was a lot of hatches! and that was to just get 10 chicks to keep. LMAO!

I just used a pencil to mark them. The last group that I was going to put under a broody for a few days till room in the incubator opened up I put a big smiley face on them so it would be really easy to notice, but then they didn't go under my broody.

Back
Top Bottom